Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frog Leap Mineral System....yes or no?

1. Back To Top    #1

Frog Leap Mineral System....yes or no?

Pool is going in Monday- 24 ft. round above ground. The pool store informed us of the Frog leap mineralization as an option....but didn't push us. Feeling that it may be worth the value and he wasn't trying to soak us, and after reading up on it, we felt it was a good investment. I have to be honest, I'm still having mixed feelings as I am not sure it's necessary. It's too late to nix it from the order. Any thoughts?
    24' Round Above Ground w/ Vinyl Liner 14,996 Gallons
    Hayward Extreme Cartridge Filter w/1.5hp pump
    Hayward In-Line Chlorinator- Puck Fed
    Hayward Skimmer
    Taylor K2006 DPD-FAS Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frog Leap Mineral System....yes or no?

No, avoid it. Mineral systems add metals to the water, which may eventually build up to levels that can cause unsightly stains, without adding any significant benefits in the mean time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Definitely a good idea to not install it as JL said ... no way for us to know if you can nix if from the order or not.

You seriously should order one of the Recommended Test Kits now so you have it soon after the pool is installed. And read Pool School ... a few times.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Absolutely, positively, 100% no. I had one, thought it was great until I found this site. When I found out the claims of using 0.5 ppm of chlorine was BS I ripped it out almost right away. No more $100 "mineral pac" to open the pool (the minerals are copper and silver by the way, not quite the natural minerals I want to swim in), and no more overpriced trichlor pacs either. My pool has never looked better, felt better, or been easier than when I dumped that money sucking frog.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

NO NO NO!! I've got copper stains on the top 4 inches of my liner because of the previous owner using it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow! I'm pretty sure I can pull the plug on it. Thanks for the feedback.
    24' Round Above Ground w/ Vinyl Liner 14,996 Gallons
    Hayward Extreme Cartridge Filter w/1.5hp pump
    Hayward In-Line Chlorinator- Puck Fed
    Hayward Skimmer
    Taylor K2006 DPD-FAS Test Kit