Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easiest formula for calculating chlorine cost at the store

1. Back To Top    #1

North OKC Area

Easiest formula for calculating chlorine cost at the store

This is a lot easier to use in a store than any other formula I've seen used. I will still keep the calculator in my signature up for those that prefer to use it as opposed to memorizing a formula, such as my wife

Formula: [Price] / [#Units] / [Oz per unit] / [% Chlorine]

So if I can get 3 - 121oz jugs of 8.25% for $7.50 it would be:
    7.50 / 3 / 121 / 0.0825 = $0.2504

Which is the same as: (7.5 / 3) / (121 * 0.0825) = $0.2504 (the formula most used on this site)

Both formulas produced the same result up to twelve decimal places after doing over 100,000 calculations on random prices/units/unit sizes, and concentrations in Excel.

As with many formulas, you must remember the order in which to enter the numbers. You should start with the price and end with the %chlorine (in decimal form like the example). It does not matter if [#Units] comes second or third and you do not need to enter [#Units] if it is only for one jug.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Easiest formula for calculating chlorine cost at the sto

That is easier to remember. Thanks for posting!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Re: Easiest formula for calculating chlorine cost at the sto

I use this. Have it book marked in my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.