Pool guy and algae

clg82

Jun 25, 2013
Hey everyone new to the forums and new to pool ownership so please bare with me. Have owned our new home for the last two months and the pool guy has kept the pool sparkling clean. But over the last couple of weeks I have noticed some yellow mustard algae developing in the pool. I confronted him about it when he was there last wednesday and he said because the temperature has been so hot lately a lot of people have been experiencing this....i know you probably want to know my chlorine levels etc....i am going to buy a test kit this weekend and will get back to you with that but what do you think about what the pool guy told me? thanks for any help in advance and sorry for the long read.

Welcome! :wave:

Hot weather doesn't cause algae. Low chlorine levels allow it. A few pucks and a mega-dose of chlorine once a week when he visits isn't really enough to keep it away.

Unless you're extremely lucky, you won't find one of the recommended test kits in stock at a pool store. I suggest you read some articles in pool school to get some basics (test kits are discussed) and read some of the article about cleaning up a swamp. Your pool isn't quite that bad; it's more like you're starting near the finish for these folks.
first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

Richard320 said:
Welcome! :wave:

Hot weather doesn't cause algae. Low chlorine levels allow it. A few pucks and a mega-dose of chlorine once a week when he visits isn't really enough to keep it away.

Unless you're extremely lucky, you won't find one of the recommended test kits in stock at a pool store. I suggest you read some articles in pool school to get some basics (test kits are discussed) and read some of the article about cleaning up a swamp. Your pool isn't quite that bad; it's more like you're starting near the finish for these folks.
first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

thank you for the response! I will take a look at those links you posted! The algae isn't as bad as i may have made it out to be. I mainly notice it by the steps and only in small patches. I know that I shouldn't have it at all, but any things I can do in the meantime to get the algae under control? I threw a couple of chlorine pucks in the floater in the meantime...

Do you currently have ANY way to test your water? Pool store nearby? Strips? Yellow and red drops?

We don't know your CYA level, so we can't tell you what level of chlorine you need to maintain, let alone what level to SLAM your pool at.

When you get a minute, fill out your signature with the details of your pool and equipment, that will help us all know what you have.

You also need to read Pool School, that will answer many questions you don't even know you have.

Familiarize yourself with the Pool Calculator too. You can use that to figure out how much bleach (liquid chlorine) you need to had to your pool to ensure you have some chlorine in it, hopefully preventing algae from getting worse prior to the arrival of your test kit.

What I heard from the PoolGuy was "Yeah, you have something growing in your pool. I think it's a mustard algae I saw it last week and ignored it. It's a bigger problem today. It had a nice hot week to grow faster. No, I wasn't planning on solving it here or in my other accounts' pools."

If it were me, I would need a TF100XL test kit, a dozen bottles of chlorine, and a Letter of Termination for the pool guy.

If you have a pool store or anywhere that will test your pool water take it there and get it tested, dont buy anything they tell you to buy. Just post your results here and the good people on this site set you on the right path. Buy a good test kit, stock up on bleach and prepare to do a partial drain and refill. Read pool school and then read it again. Most pool guys use the same products to care for pools so we all pretty much know what to expect when we see your test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.