Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Motor bad? And can I still swim until new motor comes

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Motor bad? And can I still swim until new motor comes

I bought my home 9 months ago and bought the home warranty. About 5 days ago the pump motor made a horrible noise and shut off. I called the warranty place and they sent someone out and they replaced the motor. The guy noticed I needed new filter cartridges which I knew probably needed replacing and ordered me new ones. He didn't recommend turning on the filter until the new cartridges were in. They came the next day and replaced the cartridges and turned the filter and cleaner on and left. About an hour later I went out to check things out and noticed the filter was not working. It comes on for about 10 seconds and then shuts off for about 5 minutes and repeats. The cleaner keeps working but the pool is not getting filtered. It has been 5 days now without filtration and I called the guy and told him the pump isn't working and he says I got a defective motor. So he is ordering a second motor which wont be here for about 3 more days. At that point it will have been over a week without filtration. It is about 100 degrees here and my F.C. level is about 4. I have been dumping chlorine in it almost everyday to keep the levels up so it doesn't turn green, but the kids want to continue to swim every day. So at what point do I need to close the pool for swimming? I am sure it's hurting the balance by letting them keep swimming but is it bad for them to swim even if I keep the chlorine up? And is there anything else that could be causing my pump to cycle on and off besides a defective motor? Thank you.
    30,000 gal, IG, Gunite/Pebble, Jandy Cartridge, 150 gpm(?), 1hp 2 speed, 6 years old, Spa, AquaPure SWG, Jet-Vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Motor bad? And can I still swim until new motor co

If you keep your chlorine at the appropriate FC level (for your cya level) then it should be fine for swimming. When you add chlorine, you can slowly walk around the pool to add it, then get your brush out and brush the pool for awhile to mix it in.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. And the water is looking slightly cloudy. I am assuming this is because of the lack of filtration but could it mean that I need to add something else besides chlorine?
    30,000 gal, IG, Gunite/Pebble, Jandy Cartridge, 150 gpm(?), 1hp 2 speed, 6 years old, Spa, AquaPure SWG, Jet-Vac

4. Back To Top    #4

No. Chlorine is all you need. The cloudiness could be a sign of algae starting if you have not been maintaining adequate chlorine levels.

My pool stayed clear last summer for 2 weeks with no pump ... it was dirty, but clear.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

My chlorine level is about 4, my CYA is 50 and my PH is 7.6 if this helps. I just don't want the balance to get out of hand with a whole week of no filtration.

6. Back To Top    #6

And I am wondering if the cloudy water could just be from all the sunscreen coming off the kids' skin. I am hoping that's all it is. I put a little copper algaecide when it went out just as a precaution. Thank you for your response. I feel better about letting them swim! But is there anyone who has had this issue with their pump motor and it wasn't a bad motor? I was just worried that this started right after the pool guy installed the new filter cartridges. Is there anything he could have done wrong to make the motor run like that?

7. Back To Top    #7

Another related question~ I looked at the pool pump and it says 1HP, the old motor said 3/4 HP and the new motor the pool guy put in is a 1/2 HP. Could this be why the motor is not running the pump properly?

8. Back To Top    #8

Could be...when a motor is too small for a pump, the motor often will burn out since it has to work harder than it is intended too. Post the model of the pump and the model of the current motor.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

The pump is a Jandy PlushHP model PHPM1.0 and the new motor is a US Motors 1081 Pool Motor model c55cxkll-5001 1/2 hp (the old motor was Jandy Century CPXM 2 speed 3/4 HP) I don't see anywhere that the new motor is a 2 speed.

10. Back To Top    #10

After researching a bit online it seems he may have improperly wired the new motor. Can't be certain though.

11. Back To Top    #11

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/pool_spa_menu.htm

If you read the red writing it describes exactly what the new motor is doing.

12. Back To Top    #12

I am having a hard time locating information on your current 1/2 hp motor (or the old motor for that matter). It looks like your pump model uses a 1 hp uprated motor which would be equivalent to a 3/4 full rated motor. The 1/2 hp motor, even if full rated seems like it would be too small for you pump unless when it was changed the pump impellor size was also reduced. Do you know if you pump impeller was changed?

Do you know if the motor is wired for 115 or 230?...the original motor for that pump look like it could have been wired either way.

13. Back To Top    #13

I had a hard time finding anything as well. I do know the old motor was a 3/4 and was wired for 230 but could be either way. But I do not know what the guy wired the new one at. I feel like it is too small and possibly also wired wrong. And no the impeller has not been changed. How often do the impellers usually last? Any advise on what size hp and speed would give me the best energy efficiency and/ or the best to run my pump smoothly? I noticed my energy bill went up $100 last month and just wondering if the motor could have been the reason.

14. Back To Top    #14

I agree it sounds like it was wired incorrectly turn the power off remove the coverplate and take a picture of the terminals/wireconections
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by awoods
    The pump is a Jandy PlushHP model PHPM1.0 and the new motor is a US Motors 1081 Pool Motor model c55cxkll-5001 1/2 hp (the old motor was Jandy Century CPXM 2 speed 3/4 HP) I don't see anywhere that the new motor is a 2 speed.
    That motor # does not seem to be come up in a search. Can you take a picture of the motor nameplate and post it here.

However, it would appear that the motor is too small for the original impeller from the pump so either you have to downsize the impeller or get the correct motor. But if the new motor is not a two speed, you should get one to save on energy. The installer should have replaced like for like.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater