Dirt/pollen and sand getting back into the pool from filter

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I see it laying at the bottom, usually catching any floor seams, etc.

All was installed in 2009 and no changes of sand, etc., since.

Here's what I've done, tried to do:

1 - backwash. tried it once, didn't have enough water in the pool and ran below skimmer. Next day, had plenty of water, ran it for at least 3 minutes. I know they say to look for clean water, but that's tough to see. I did hold my backwash hose over a white trash bag, which helps see greyish water get clearer, but. I then rinsed.

2 - I tried the cleaning of the filter, but am not certain I'm doing it right. I lifted the lid off the filter and honestly right then I saw debris wash over the top. I did put a hose in, but didn't see much debris after that initial. I gently push the hose down toward the sand, etc.

What I didn't do was remove the entire top of the filter. Should I have disconnects my hoses and completely lifted the top off and out of the filter.

To make matters worse, I now have sand in my pool. Not a lot at all, but my skimmer sock is showing it.

I've read this thread:
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

Explain it to me like I'm a four year old.

thanks

Re: 17-18 psi is lowest I get on my setup?

Merged by moderator from HERE. Keep your questions together and out of other people's threads. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm having some issues, stated in a new thread. But after a backwash, my gauge reads 14. Is that too low? previously it was between 15 and 17. I'm getting a small amount of sand, as well as pollen resting on the floor - all coming from the filter. Just curious if low pressure indicates anything. I tried cleaning the filter, but in thread you'll read that I'm not certain I did it correctly.

Re: Dirt/pollen and sand getting back into the pool from fil

Mods keep combining my threads, but in my mind these were different symptoms and I thought my pressure played into the other member's thread.

Anyway, so far, I've backwashed twice.

I completed a deep cleaning, per the "My sand is channeling" thread. I have no idea what channeling is and no idea if I completed the cleaning correctly. I didn't remove the hoses and then remove the center of the pump completely, was I supposed to? I simply lifted it a bit and pushed a hose in different areas. The only dirt I really saw, came out when I first opened it and the water rushed out.

I have no idea what laterals are.

The water is clear.

Pressure is now 14

I use a skimmer sock and it is a light shade of green and does have slight signs of sand in it. I even put a skimmer sock on the pump basket. It caught some sand and green as well, but it did tear. I figured that would happen, but just wanted to have a second sock in play when I was vacuuming the pool.

The floor of the pool is clean and so is my skimmer sock. Filter is running, but I have little confidence that the sock won't be green and contain some sand.

My next though was to preform the cleaning again, but gently use a broom handle on the sand. To do that and really see what's going on, I would have to remove the hoses.

If I do that, am I supposed to completely pull the center of the filter out?

If anyone has any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, aside from annoying the mods, please let me know.

Thanks

So I'm guessing that all of this stuff is settling to the bottom? Nothing on the sides, right?

You might be one of those sand filter owners who could benefit from adding a little DE to your filter media. We can get to that in a bit. First, I'd like to see your test results and also see what an overnight chlorine loss test does. This is just to confirm that it is, in fact, pollen and not algae getting started.

When the sun goes down, test your FC. Then, in the morning, before the sun rises and hits the water, test your FC again. See if you lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, sitting on the bottom, usually in a seam. In the past, I wouldn't have to vacuum every day, but now it seems necessary. It started a few weeks ago, when we hadn't used the pool for a few weeks. At that point, it was creeping up the corners a bit. It was still powdery when pushed though. I honestly don't believe it's algae, but a test will confirm. My water is really clear.

I opened this 5th year to the worst water. Green, etc. I never had it that bad. I think I made some mistakes, like vacuuming all that dirt, etc. into my filter, instead of just waste. It was a hasty opening and I wasn't thinking clearly. The first four years were smooth sailing, never any sand, algae, etc. I opened late and warm and I think that hurt me as well.

I'm on it though. I tried testing FC twice, but even working from home, I'd either get distracted, or downpours just tainted the chance to test. However, I completed a diving expedition last week, and the wedding cake steps were a mess underneath. I don't believe they caused it though. I believe they were catching debris. I dove in and vacuumed everything out, even the weights. The weights are your every day plastic weight-lifting weights, filled with concrete. I do NOT believe they are cracked or leaking. It was green dirt, so I'm guessing pollen, that just vacuumed right up. It would go into a cloud if I pushed it without vacuuming. I had my daughter sit on my back, so I could stay down long enough to get the steps clean. Too funny!

I'll do my FC and report back tomorrow.

BTW, always wanted to try the 257Wby. Just another thing I never got around to. I like the rounds that can achieve more than others believe. 6.5x55 Swede being just one.

Well that was disappointing. I added bleach earlier today, because after the rain, etc. it needed it. About 4:00, it was at least 2.5-3.

After dark, I checked the FC and it's only one. I know the overnight is the true test, but I was hoping for a higher start number this evening. I guess tomorrow I'll either have FC or I won't. 1ppm is all I have to play with. I'll let you know either way.

The overnight test shows a zero FC. Now, because I only started with 1, is there a margin of error that says I should get the pool back up to a normal 2.5-3, then retest? Or do I just assume now that I have algae?

FC - 0
CC - .5-1 (so, over .5)
PH - 7.3
CYA - < 20 Not sure how guys can tell its 15, etc. If I had to guess it's maybe 10-15

I just added chlorine and once it circulates, I'll test it, then bring it to shock level. (It was 6:15AM, and I can't go into the pool shed without waking everyone. So I dumped what I had left in my open jug. In a couple hours I'll check it and probably start a Slam. If the kids want to use the pool, I'll wait until late to start the Slam, make sense?

I also added stabilizer powder to a nylon and hung it in front of my return.

I think I really blew it and created more problems. Thinking back, we had a heat wave and my CYA, hence FC, probably went too low. At that point, my Chlorine level wasn't high enough and algae or something formed. Ok, not a big deal. To make matters worse, I went on this filter cleaning frenzy and in the process have now added sand to my pool. It's not a lot at all, but it bugs me that it's even in there. I haven't been in the pool, so I don't know if you can feel it. You can't see it at all, except some granules in my skimmer sock.

Is my best plan to ignore the sand and filter for now and simply concentrate on a Slam of the pool?

In fact, maybe a good Slam is in order here. It did not rain during the overnight FC test.

Is my best plan to ignore the sand and filter for now and simply concentrate on a Slam of the pool?
Absolutely. I think your issues will go away once you complete the SLAM. Make sure you complete it, though. YOu must follow the article precisely....no shortcuts.

Once your pool is clear, you can vacuum up the sand in your pool and all will be well.

duraleigh said:
Absolutely. I think your issues will go away once you complete the SLAM. Make sure you complete it, though. YOu must follow the article precisely....no shortcuts.

Once your pool is clear, you can vacuum up the sand in your pool and all will be well.

I will. I work from home, which you would think makes it easier. I swear, I get more actual work done now than I did at the office. Unfortunately, it can cut in to my personal time. But I'm dedicated to the cause here and fortunately had recently stocked up on replacements for my TF100 kit!

So far, not great, but perhaps as expected.

7:15PM:
FC - .25
CYA - < 20

Using 8.25% bleach: I added 114 ounces. I had already added stabilizer powder to raise the CYA yesterday, so it's just a waiting game for that.

8:40PM
FC 6.5
CC .5+ I'm calling it +, because one drop and it not longer looks pink, but the second drop does make it look clearer.
Added: 40 ounces of bleach

9:55PM
FC 8.0
CC - The bottle fell, so rather than waste chemical, I just let it go.
Added 22 ounces of bleach

11:05PM
FC - 10 - Finally! I almost added more bleach here, but want an overnight test.
CC - .5+ After this test, I cleaned the vial with bleach. Maybe that will help with the clarity after the first drop.

I know this can be expected, if there's algae. But I'm using the Pool Calculator and entered 8.25% for the bleach. I would love to hear if others are using this 8.25% successfully. I feel like it could be a marketing scam to simply put less bleach in the jug and am not convinced it's that much higher of a concentrate.

Ok, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Dirt/pollen and sand getting back to pool from filter. A

7:00 AM
FC - 7 (so I lost 3ppm over night)
CC - .5 (solid clear at .5)
CYA - 15 (looking better here)

I added 70 ounces this time, to bring the FC to 13, according to the calculator. I did that because it will be sunny and brutal all week. Temps from 93 to 100 degrees.

Pool water has been crystal clear for weeks and still is.

Skimmer sock is a mix of some green and brown. It really looks more brown than green though. Brown, like sand color. When I look closely, there are some sand granules, but it's more the color than the actual sand, if that makes sense.

I have wedding cake steps. I recently dove in there and clean them out pretty well. maybe 95%. will this Slam clean them completely, or do I have another dive in my future? It's not a huge deal, because it will be HOT this week. However, the railing doesn't sit in the flange correctly (long story), so the flange is cracking. If I can find one locally, then no big deal. otherwise, I risk losing the railing until a mail order flange arrives.

We won't need the solar cover this week. However, would putting it on help at all to retain FC levels (by reducing sun)?

Smykowski said:
Leaving the solar cover on is fine during normal/maintenance use. However, for the SLAM process, you want to leave it off so that the pool can outgas any byproducts of oxidation.

Perfect! That pool would be like a hot tub if I left the cover on this week. I'm hoping to let the kids use the pool soon. The only issue we have with high chlorine, other than a possible faded swimsuit, is that my one daughter is sensitive to the chlorine. Well, her urinary tract is sensitive to it. She was in the pool once, soon after I had raised chlorine level. She swam without issue, but when she went to urinate...well they could hear her screaming in the next county. Dad didn't take that too well :(

Was the irritation to chlorine before switching to BBB or after? Most people that claim to have a sensitivity to chlorine are actually sensitive to the chloramines. Chlorine sensitivity in a clean pool (that is, FC only, no CC) seems to be very rare.

As to the stuff collecting in the seams and on the bottom, I know what you're fighting. Take a look at the solar cover and make sure you don't have algae living on top of it, or where the tape seams are. I just solved my own problem by sanitizing the top of the solar cover for the first time in years.

Smykowski said:
Was the irritation to chlorine before switching to BBB or after? Most people that claim to have a sensitivity to chlorine are actually sensitive to the chloramines. Chlorine sensitivity in a clean pool (that is, FC only, no CC) seems to be very rare.

As to the stuff collecting in the seams and on the bottom, I know what you're fighting. Take a look at the solar cover and make sure you don't have algae living on top of it, or where the tape seams are. I just solved my own problem by sanitizing the top of the solar cover for the first time in years.

We never switched. We started our pool 4 years ago and BBB is all I've ever done. Could have been a coincidence.

You are KILLING me with the cover. This was a new cover this year and two things stick out in my mind.

1 - I didn't know it was bad, and I left the cover in its plastic bag, in the sun. It was just sitting on my deck for a like a week or so.

2 - I do notice that the top of it is green/dirt. I told my wife a while back, it seems like dirt is falling off of the cover and into the pool. I blamed it on the trees, not thinking that rain, etc., was washing the algae, etc. into the pool. I think you might have nailed that one.

Well...it's a roller coaster:

Day 2:

7:10AM
FC - 7 (Overnight loss of 3ppm)
CYA - 15
CC - 5
Added 70 ounces of bleach

Noon (work interrupted)
FC - 6
CYA -15
CC 5
Added 56ozs

4:30
FC - 4.5
CYA - 15
CC - 5
Kids used pool. I know, but it was hot. Today, they are not using is

8:30
FC - 4 (Not bad, considering it was 4.5 at 4:30, kids swam, and I didn't add any bleach.
CYA - 15
CC - 5
Added 80 ounces

Now it gets interesting. I complete another dive to check the steps. I can see the green and there's puffs of dust when I vacuum it. I scrub the vinyl shower mat that the steps rest on as well. I added the 80 ounces above, after cleaning the steps.

10:00

FC - 7
CYA - 15
CC 5
Added 60 ounces

7:00 AM today
FC - 6 ( obviously the green from the steps taking effect. For the first time since the slam began, I saw green on the bottom, so I brushed the pool again. I had been doing it the past two days as well.
CYA and CC weren't tested. Bad morning.

So, I'm going to keep at it. The steps obviously contributed to this delay, as did the kids swimming. We'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.