Just filled - Results added. Please help balance.

jblizzle said:
The stabilizer will help to lower the pH, so I would just get the stabilizer in a sock and dissolving in front of a return jet. I would initially shoot for about 50-60ppm, wait a week, retest and make the final addition.

What salt level is the SWG reading? It just needs to be happy. Oddly mine was reading 3100 ppm a few days ago, added another bag (should add 250ppm) and today it was reading 3800ppm :scratch: Whatever, still seems to be happy.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I will add just the stabilizer as you have suggested (bought at Walmart). Should I add all 104oz or how much? I changed the target on poolcalc to 60 and it asks me to add 81oz. Is that ok?

SWG is reading 3300.

Any thoughts on these two questions?

1. CSI shows as -0.61. Is that ok?
2. Based on these recommended levels (pool-school/recommended_levels) - should I use the levels of vinyl with SWG or bleach?

Targeting a CYA of 60ppm is fine.

CSI does not matter in a vinyl pool ... the lower number should help reduce scaling in the SWG though.

You have a SWG ... so use those numbers.

jblizzle said:

CSI does not matter in a vinyl pool ... the lower number should help reduce scaling in the SWG though.

Perfect. Thanks!

Just added 2kg of cya using two socks, one at each return.

Used a paver to hold the sock from sinking. How do others do it?

jblizzle said:

With regards to the numbers.. We have used bleach to bring chlorine up..

That's why I am confused as to whether we should use vinyl bleach or vinyl SWCG settings...

Vinyl with Bleach
FC 3-7
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 50-300
CYA 30-50

Vinyl with SWG
FC 3-5
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 50-300
CYA 70-80

If you are looking to maintain your FC with your Salt Water Generator (SWG) use the SWG chart for your end goals. That being said, if you cannot maintain the FC level using the SWG alone, add bleach (in addition to the SWG) to make your FC targets.

Does this make sense?

techguy said:
If you are looking to maintain your FC with your Salt Water Generator (SWG) use the SWG chart for your end goals. That being said, if you cannot maintain the FC level using the SWG alone, add bleach (in addition to the SWG) to make your FC targets.

Does this make sense?

OK. So use these levels.. And if the SWCG cannot generate enough chlorine, I can add bleach. But my levels are the ones below:

Vinyl with SWG
FC 3-5
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 50-300
CYA 70-80

If you SWG can not keep those FC levels, then something is wrong.

Although note is is often advisible to supplement the FC with bleach before and/or after heavy use so the FC does not drop too much before the SWG "catches up".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
If you SWG can not keep those FC levels, then something is wrong.

Although note is is often advisible to supplement the FC with bleach before and/or after heavy use so the FC does not drop too much before the SWG "catches up".

Perfect. Understood very clearly now :) Thanks!

I have the SWCG set at 35% and am running the pump about 10-12 hrs a day.

Is that ok?

What are the recommended settings for the SWCG % and pump run time?

What % should I bump it up to before / after heavy use?

Every pool is different, you should set the pump run time long enough to keep your pool clean and then the % to maintain enough FC.

It is easier to use bleach for temp boosts than changing the %.

Hello again!

Just tested my water and here are the results.

Salt: 3600
FCL: 3
TCL: 3
CCL: 0
PH 7.6
TA: 110
CYA: 30
CA: 120

I am confused... I added 2kg of stabilizer last week and the CYA has gone up only 5??

What do I need to do for TA? My TA went higher instead of lower when I added stab.

Is my salt ok? Do I need to lower?

I am running my pump 10-12 hrs a day with the SWCG at 35%. Do I need to change run time or settings on SWCG?

Stabilizer should not affect the TA. If your SWG is happy, then the salt is fine. You set the pump run time to keep the pool clean, then the SWG % to generate enough FC ... as I said above.

What does the water look like? The CYA certainly needs to go up.

Thanks.

I must have mis-read. Stab reduces ph and in turn after aeration, can reduce TA. Is that right?

The water looks amazing. Crystal clear.

Now the really confusing questions (for me) are:

1. Last week I had cya of 25. I added 2kg of hth stab from Walmart and it should have raised up to 60. My reading is only 30. Why??
2. Do I need Muriatic acid to lower my ph? Then aerate? We have a waterfall - does that count as aerating?
3. SWCG reads 3300 but tests show 3600. Do I need to do anything?

Since CYA is a weak acid it will slightly lower the pH and the TA, but it's a small amount.

Did the ingredients of the CYA say something close to 100%? we've had a few reports of 50% CYA and last year we had a report or two of bad CYA. I'd wait until you're sure it's been a full week and if it doesn't raise it then I'd consider it bad.

I wouldn't worry about the TA very much. By adjusting the pH down with acid whenever it needs it you bring the TA down as well and over time it finds it's happy place.

3300 to 3600 is well within the accuracy of the tests, so I would consider the numbers virtually the same and not worry about it.

Bama Rambler said:
Can you post a pic of the containers?

All that I've ever seen has the ingredients listed in % on the label. It may be different in Canada. Is there a contact number on the container?

Here is a pic. The contact info is listed on it.

I bought it from Walmart.

stab%201.jpg

stab%202.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.