Underlay - Extruded Polystyrene - Above Ground Pool - Intex

I'll be using 3/4" extruded polystyrene under my Intex 22' diameter pool. Is it advisable to place a tarp over and cover the polystyrene before setting the pool on the polystyrene?

I'm planning to tape the seams of the polystyrene sheets well using the Gorilla tape. I'm not sure whether it's best to cover the polystyrene with something before sitting the pool on it. I thought I saw where some people reported getting slime or mold between the pool vinyl bottom and the covering they had under the pool. I have a roll of heavy vinyl type material which I thought of using, this material won't degrade and I believe one use of it is for making body bags. A vinyl type covering may cause moisture under the pool, I don't know. I considered covering only the outer circumference of the polystyrene of about one foot and wrapping it underneath to give some protection to the exposed portion of the polystyrene.

Any help, advice or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Underlay - Extruded Polystyrene - Above Ground Pool - In

I used the 3/4" foam, taped seams with gorilla tape, and placed the tarp that came with the Intex pool over that. I haven't taken it down so I can't attest to any moisture issues but time will tell.

So for it has worked out great. The foam provides for a nice surface on the feet.

First couple of years, I just used plain old silver duct tape to keep the 3/4" foam together then would store it and retape again the next year. Yes, you could see and feel the tape on the pool bottom but it wasn't obnoxious or anything.

This year I went to a bigger pool and used gorilla tape because it came off the roll better than the duct tape from Lowes, so I suspect quality of duct tape has gone down a bit so Gorilla it is for me now. I also put a heavy pool ground cloth down on top of the foam this year, and it is a bit nicer.

I did have some "green" stuff on the top of the foam in years past but just washed it off when putting stuff away for winter.

Bob E.

I'm basically at the same point. Worked all day today with the sod cutter. Have a guy with a Bobcat scheduled in the morning after seeing how much work leveling this thing will be. I have concrete blocks I planned on digging in and a light layer of masonry sand. Not sure it I should put a tarp, blue 3/4 foam and then another tarp or what. Wanting a semi-permant installation. I don't plan on doing all this agian anytime soon.

I did foam, two or three layers of gorilla tape, and a tarp for several seasons. You can feel the tape a bit, but not in a bad way at all. This year I omitted the tarp, as a trial. Did foam, two layers of gorilla tape, and then pool. I think you can really feel the seams of the foam more. Like a crack, but not deep. It is not a real bother, and in fact collects dust so sort of easy to see where to vacuum. But definitely a noticable difference from having the tarp. I am fine with it either way, and will likely not use a tarp next year, but i do see a difference in the seams. That said, this is year 3 on this foam and it does not meet at the seems as well anymore, so i guess that could be part of what i'm seeing rather than the omission of the tarp.

What foam did you use? Did you use blocks under the legs?

I'm thinking dig my blocks in until about 1/2 inch inch above grade then sped thin layer of masonry sand. Then foam and tarp that came with it.

smithder said:
What foam did you use? Did you use blocks under the legs?

I'm thinking dig my blocks in until about 1/2 inch inch above grade then sped thin layer of masonry sand. Then foam and tarp that came with it.

If you are asking me, see my signature. Not sure of details an foam, but it has pix of the Pink Panther on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.