Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA reading

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA reading

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding CYA readings in warm water.
    I know from reading this forum, that the results might be effected if the water is too cold. How about really warm water? We were gone for a week and had the solar cover on and the pool temerature is now 90. I started the season with a CYA of 60. I tested last night and could still see the dot clearly at the 20 marker. I will let it cool a little and test again, even though I know the rest of the family will declare me insane if I now start putting poolwater in the fridge in order to ajust the poolwater for testing...
    We had a lot of rain this season so I am sure it went down due to draining, but I was just curious if warm water affects the reading as well?
    27000 gallon
    sand filter Hayward Pro Series S244T
    pump Hayward 1.5 HP SER. 2011CH
    gas heater Hayward H 350 FBN

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: CYA reading

Warm water shouldn't affect it. Lighting affects the test results more than anything else, in my experience.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: CYA reading

The CYA test is ALMOST unaffected by temp. At very cold temps it can register off a little low and sample should be warmed up to room temp. That's it.

You have apparently lost all your CYA although that's pretty darn unusual. Recheck your test but chances are good you need to add some CYA. Do you have an autofill device?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School