munky

Jul 5, 2013
Naylor, Arkansas
Never did introduce myself, did I?

Hi! I'm munky--well, Kendra, but everyone calls me munky! I live in Naylor, Arkansas--which most people, even locals, have never heard of. It isn't even really a town. It's what Arakansans call a "populated area". So, to give you a slightly better idea, it's about 42 miles north (with a smidge of east thrown in for flavor) of Little Rock.

Current pool is listed in my signature. I don't have my good test kit yet, but I get to order it on Monday and I'm terribly excited! I can't wait to get reliable results, so I can keep my pool water looking as nice as all those pics I keep seeing around here!

It's our second season with this pool, and we've surprised ourselves by deciding we want to look into getting a "real" AGP next year. Heck, when we were looking at houses, one of our main requirements was no pool, 'cause we didn't want to have to do that much work! And even this little thing was a lot of work last year, before I found this place. Before setting it up this year, I deliberately went looking for some way to make it easier ... and found it here! Yes, one has to test the water regularly and make adjustments as necessary, but I couldn't keep chlorine in my pool for anything last year! And, not having taken the time to learn any better, I just kept putting chlorine tablets in the pump (1/2 tablets, actually, since that's all that'll fit) and shocking it every week. I hardly even used the crappy little test kit I bought last year, because I just didn't understand what it was telling me, or why any of it mattered!

So, for the last month or so, I've been lurking around here, reading tons of stuff about other people's problems--and the explanations not just of how to fix them, but why. You all are great about explaining why a problem occurs in the first place and why the solution you offer should fix it!

I've also been reading Pool School. I think I'm on my 4th round through. There's just so much it's hard to retain it all! I'm half considering printing it all out and putting it in a binder to keep with my pool supplies!

Oh, and "us" is me and my 65-year-old mother, who lives with me. I convinced her to come with me when work transferred me to Arkansas, since none of the rest of the family was left close by in Texas. There are also 5 dogs, 4 cats, 2 hens and an indeterminate number of guinea fowl, but they don't use the pool! Heck, one of the dogs appears to be immune to water. Tried to drop him in a kiddie pool once, and I swear he bounced off the water and landed halfway across the yard, perfectly dry--and thoroughly offended. The rest have been known, on occasion, to step into a kiddie pool, but nothing they can't stand in. Anyway, that's beside the point.

I'm excited to be here, and excited to be learning so many new things! Can't wait for my test kit to arrive. The whole family is coming in a few weeks for a reunion, and I want the water perfect!

Hmm ... that makes me think of a question. There will be kids--mostly older kids, but a few young'uns. Any special preparations I should make with the water? We're already making sure they can't get into the pool unsupervised.

And OMG, there's a monkey smiley?! :monkey:

Welcome to the forum. :lol: The info in Pool School can be overwhelming at first. I like to see newbies with a clear pool simply focus on the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". It is essential basic knowledge and will lead to other articles that are more detailed.

welcome, most of us started the same way you have! I came here with a small AGP and the folks here helped us take the plunge and dig an unground OURSELVES! Just yesterday I re-read my original thread and I was blown away by how everyone here stuck with me to solve all my pool problems. And pool school... I started out so dumb, that I couldn't even 'find' the pool school button! In fact, after I found pool school, I actually did print the whole thing and put it in a folder that I keep with my TF-100 kit. I still refer back to it even now.

Probably everyone here knows my best advice. Before the kids jump in, gather them in a group and explain how you don't swim in their toilet and you would appreciate it if they didn't pee in your pool! This is what I do and they all laugh. Like an airline stewardess, I point out the four restrooms and many times declare a 'time to get out and pee' time. Then, if some kid gets out to use the restroom, I really praise them and thank them. Often, it makes the others follow suit, because they want to be appreciated too. Oh, and don't be fooled, some bigger kids (and adults) don't have any problem peeing in the pool, so make sure they are within earshot. Have fun at the reunion!

Heh. The rules will certainly be laid down ... and while I'm the favorite aunt, I'm also the one that every one of those kids knows for absolute sure that what I say goes--that I will not tolerate disobedience or disrespect of any sort, and I have no compunctions against grounding them, even in front of their parents. And their parents will uphold it. Of course, one of the young'uns is only 2, so I expect some accidents. Alas, the grownups don't have the same fear of me ... but I don't expect a lot of difficulty with them. One of the places we lived growing up had a pool, and we got spanked if we got caught peeing in the pool--and if we stayed in it longer than Mom thought possible without a "potty break," it was assumed we were peeing in the pool.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the chance to order my test kit. Payday is Monday. However, I've been doing what I can with the crappy little thing I have. Alas, it doesn't check CYA, but the Pool Calculator suggested I put a little over a pound in at fillup. My CYA is in 3lb. jugs, so I poured what looked like about a third of one into an old nylon knee-high and tied it in front of the return. And then I played with it a lot, while swimming, to get it to dissolve faster. Have I mentioned I'm not terribly patient?

I've been checking my chlorine levels every other day, and adding a little extra every time--pool is not holding chlorine, which I know means I need more CYA, but I don't want to add more before I can test to see how much I have. The water, however, is still crystal clear, a week after I set it up, and that's already a better record than last year!

As far as pet pictures, we have pictures of all the dogs and the outdoor cat, if I can remember to get online from home instead of work. The inside cats are much harder to get pictures of. They like having their pictures taken about as much as I do. I think I may have a picture of the hens, but we haven't had much luck getting pictures of the guinea fowl--they're free range, and apparently think cameras will eat them. The keets (baby guineas, for those who don't know) might be a little easier, since they're still penned up until they're bigger ... Hmm ... It might take several posts!

Alas, the grownups don't have the same fear of me ... but I don't expect a lot of difficulty with them.
My friend, age 84, told me he just didn't care that much anymore and decided to pee in the pool. He said the lifeguard yelled at him so loud he almost fell in. (drummer) Bar-rump-ump!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
munky said:
I'm still anxiously awaiting the chance to order my test kit. Payday is Monday. However, I've been doing what I can with the crappy little thing I have. Alas, it doesn't check CYA, but the Pool Calculator suggested I put a little over a pound in at fillup. My CYA is in 3lb. jugs, so I poured what looked like about a third of one into an old nylon knee-high and tied it in front of the return. And then I played with it a lot, while swimming, to get it to dissolve faster. Have I mentioned I'm not terribly patient?

I've been checking my chlorine levels every other day, and adding a little extra every time--pool is not holding chlorine, which I know means I need more CYA, but I don't want to add more before I can test to see how much I have. The water, however, is still crystal clear, a week after I set it up, and that's already a better record than last year!

So, if you have added about a pound of CYA so far, then according to the Pool calculator you should have about 26ppm. That is a little low. If you add about a 1/4 pound that should get you to the minimum CYA of 30ppm. Currently your target range for FC is between 2-6ppm. Try to raise it to 6ppm everyday and you should be good. :)

duraleigh said:
Alas, the grownups don't have the same fear of me ... but I don't expect a lot of difficulty with them.
My friend, age 84, told me he just didn't care that much anymore and decided to pee in the pool. He said the lifeguard yelled at him so loud he almost fell in. (drummer) Bar-rump-ump!
:shock: "There is a trick to getting away with peeing in a pool. You actually have to be IN the pool." (I heard this joke on America's Got Talent the other night) :shock: naturally, I thought of all of us!

Finally got to order my TF100 test kit. YAY! So, it'll be here tomorrow, right? Have I mentioned I'm impatient? :lol:

So far, even without the test kit, my pool is still clear and beautiful. It's surprising enough, after last year when I had to "shock" it (using those "shock" packets one buys at the store) weekly, that even my mother mentioned it this weekend. I'm trying to be careful. I'm putting bleach in daily, but haven't touched anything else since my first fill and adjustments for the fill water a week ago. I'd rather just keep adding bleach every day and not try to adjust anything else until I get a real test kit in hand.

Anyway, so very glad I found this place!