Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

First time SLAM

Hello,
    I am am running my first SLAM today. SWG has been maintaining FC at 1-2 with pump running 10hr/day (set to 95%). After a party with 30 or so swimmers in the pool, I decided it was time to SLAM. This is my first pool season (completed Oct '12) and water has always been crystal clear.

Prior to SLAM pH was ~7.5, CYA 50-60

After adding 7 lbs of Cal-hypo 65 shock the water became VERY cloudy -- can barely see floor of my 1ft sun shelf, let alone bottom!. After 6 hrs it is still VERY cloudy.

Test:
    FC 26
    CC 0
    CH 300

Did I do something wrong?
    Does it just take a long time to dissolve?

Running pump 24/7. Will check FC in a few hrs.

Do I need an intervention or patience?

Thank you in advance!
    35,000 gal IG w/ spa completed Oct 2012, grey quartz plaster, SWG (nature2 - no minerals), Jandy cartridge filter, Heater, Polaris 280 w/ booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time SLAM

That is one reason we do not really recommend using cal-hypo. It should clear up eventually. Best to maintain the shock level with bleach.

Likely when you complete the SLAM process you should raise the CYA a little high and see if you can get the SWG to maintain a higher FC ... otherwise you need to increase the SWG output and/or pump run time ... or be supplementing with bleach every day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Guess I should have used liquid chlorine. Arrrgggh!! That'll be the last time I listen to the pool store!
    So it's the calcium thats making it cloudy? How long do you think we are we talking about?
    Does this mean my CH will continue to rise as it dissolves?
    By the way, is it safe to swim during SLAM?
    35,000 gal IG w/ spa completed Oct 2012, grey quartz plaster, SWG (nature2 - no minerals), Jandy cartridge filter, Heater, Polaris 280 w/ booster

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as your FC level at at or below shock level for your CYA.

For my CYA for 40, I need to keep my FC above 3 at all times. I aim for 7 or 8 each day and a shock is 15FC. It is safe to swim as long as the water is clear and the FC is at or below 15FC.

Your "safe" levels will depend on your CYA.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

We find it is rarely a good idea to listen to the pool store

Likely it is the calcium that made it cloudy if it happened suddenly when you added it. No idea how long it will take to clear up.

Have you found poolcalculator.com yet? It will tell you what that the 7 pounds you add will 15ppm FC (odd that you are seeing 26???) and 11ppm of CH.

Are you planning to follow the SLAM process? [slam:2z3gfifh][/slam:2z3gfifh]

We say it is safe when the FC is less than shock level. While in the SLAM process, the Fc should be above shock level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chaser
    Hello,
    I am am running my first SLAM today. SWG has been maintaining FC at 1-2 with pump running 10hr/day (set to 95%). After a party with 30 or so swimmers in the pool, I decided it was time to SLAM. This is my first pool season (completed Oct '12) and water has always been crystal clear.

Prior to SLAM pH was ~7.5, CYA 50-60

After adding 7 lbs of Cal-hypo 65 shock the water became VERY cloudy -- can barely see floor of my 1ft sun shelf, let alone bottom!. After 6 hrs it is still VERY cloudy.

Test:
    FC 26
    CC 0
    CH 300

Did I do something wrong?
    Does it just take a long time to dissolve?

Running pump 24/7. Will check FC in a few hrs.

Do I need an intervention or patience?

Thank you in advance!
    Survey says Patience.

Besides cloudiness... you're also raising the CH level, which is fine up to a point, as you have a plaster pool. But besides the obvious risk of scaling, you also have a SWG, and Calcium can build up on the plates making it less efficient. It's best to avoid the powders from now on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks!
    Water was much clearer this AM. I brushed and some powder kicked up. Lesson learned!
    FC remained at 26 to AM. Can first night suffice as an overnight FC loss test?

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you turn off your SWG when you started to SLAM?

If i were in your shoes i don't think i would have SLAMed the pool after the party. I would have just raised FC levels a little with bleach. I would have also gave FC a little bump prior to the party.

You are also maintaining your chlorine level a little low, it needs to be at 3 PPM and never below for your CYA level. Sounds like after all this is done you need to either run your pump a few more hours or increase CYA levels.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

YOu will almost never pass the OCLT on the first night. This process will require some time so you must be patient and stay on a steady even course. Your pool took quite a while to get in it's condition so it will take a few days to get it back right.

I suggest you wait until your water is crystal clear and your CC's are .5 ppm or less and then perform the OCLT.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

This is kind of a special case ... there really was not an indicator that pointed to "requiring" the SLAM process. The FC was slightly low from the SWG but the water was clear with no CC, followed by heavy use and a decision to pre-emtively go through the SLAM process.

A confusion factor of using a LOT of cal-hypo to start the process resulted in cloudy water ... in this case the cloudiness may not be anything besides a reaction to the added calcium.

So, I actually would not be terribly surprised if the OCLT was passed on the first night since there was not actually any sign pointing to the need for the SLAM process in the first place. Although if the SWG was on, then the OCLT was invalid anyway.

Still, safest to maintain the shock FC level until the water is clear followed by a verification OCLT.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

One thing about cal-hypo, it is worse about clouding if your pH and/or TA are off. Since you didn't post those numbers, I have to ask, do you know what they are?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!