Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100: Has my kit gone bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100: Has my kit gone bad?

I bought a TF-100 kit about a year ago and used it for several months last summer on a 14' Intex pool. I've just put the pool up again for the summer and I'm getting strange test results:

R-0870 powder added to a test sample stays clear
    R-0600 from K-1000 kit added to a test sample stays clear

This is over the course of 4 days, testing each night. I've added enough bleach to go from FC of 0 to FC of 4 each night, and last night added enough to go from 0 to 10 (4 being the nominal goal and 10 being a shock).

So as a check, I took some tap water and added a splash of bleach and did the tests:
    R-0870 powder added to some of this mixture stays clear
    R-0600 added to some of this mixture results in a few red particles floating on an otherwise clear mixture

Did both my R-0870 and R-0600 go bad within a year? Any other possibilities? The kit has been stored indoors, in a closet.

Thanks,
    Dom

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100: Has my kit gone bad?

Try doing the test about an hour after you add bleach. If you don't have any stabilizer in the water, you will lose most (maybe all) of your chlorine to the sun. Are you sure your tap water has chlorine in it?
    EDIT: I missed the part where you said you added a splash of bleach to your tap water. In that case, I agree with what Jason said about it being too much chlorine and bleaching out the test.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

3. Back To Top    #3

Likely the splash of bleach was still too high of a FC level and bleached out your tests. Very high FC does what you described for the OTO test.

Add bleach to the pool and test in an hour.

What are the rest of the test values?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies, I will test tomorrow evening an hour after adding bleach. To be clear, each night I was testing before adding bleach, and the pool has not been covered during the day.

I have not added anything other than bleach to the pool yet, but planning to start the CYA stabilizer and muriatic acid tomorrow. The pH is 7.9 and TA is 110.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is this a new fill? So you know the CYA is 0?
    If so, you will lose 50% of you FC every hour to the sun ... so not surprising at all that it is dropping to 0 in 24 hours.

Getting the CYA up to at least 30ppm should be pretty high on the priority list.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 what jblizzle said. I think your kit is fine which means no refill order for me....at least not yet.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I didn't realize how fast the chlorine would disappear! I added the CYA last night, and some more bleach. Tested this morning and it shows FC of 6. Case closed, thanks for the help.

Dom

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    +1 what jblizzle said. I think your kit is fine which means no refill order for me....at least not yet.
    You may get the refill order yet if he doesn't get the CYA up!!
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

With no CYA in the water, half the FC gets lost from the UV in sunlight every hour at peak noontime sun. After 8 hours of equivalent peak sun, so probably a full day in the summer (longer hours, but not all at peak sun overhead), the FC drops to 0.8% of its initial level so 4 ppm would drop to 0.03 ppm so not be measurable. Even after just 4 hours of peak sunlight, 4 ppm FC would drop to 0.25 ppm FC. That's one reason why CYA is so important. The other reason is that CYA significantly moderates chlorine's strength so CYA is important to use even in indoor pools, though at modest levels.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"