Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering CYA

First, I want to say I am so thankful I found this board! I love learning how to be in control of my pool!!

My CYA is high, about 110. I bit the bullet and am doing a partial drain today. My handy husband (who by the way is clueless about the chemical balance since that is my job) hooked up some PVC so I am using the drained water to soak my lawn hopefully the chlorine doesn't hurt my lawn.

I have switched away for TriChlor to liquid. I still have lots of tabs left. How much CYA is released per tab? If I let them sit around and use them slowly over the next 6-12 months won't they lose their potency? I'm wondering if I can leave 1 puck in the floatie just in case the chlorine level drops?

New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Re: Lowering CYA

Congrats on your new found knowledge and becoming a BBB 'er. You can use the pool calc, effects of adding chemicals. to answer you questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Keep them dry and they'll last forever. As for CYA per puck, scroll all the way to the bottom of the pool calculator. Each puck will be either 7 or 8 oz.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

If they are 3 in tabs (about 8 oz) then they each one will add about 1.8 ppm cya to your 18000 gallon pool. I used the "effects of adding chemicals" section near the bottom of the They also lower ph and TA.

If you keep them dry, they should last a long time.

I see no reason to keep one in a floatie if you are testing and dosing daily with bleach/liquid chlorine. Save the pucks for vacations (and make sure you watch your cya when you use them).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

You can use the pool calculator to see how much tabs "put out". Usually about 60% of the chlorine amount they do. Keep them in the plastic bag inside the screw lid plastic container and they'll keep a loooooong time. One puck in a floater won't kill ya' if you just have to until you wean yourself!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize the pool calculator would show me the calculation.
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.