installing elbow on new hayward super pump

Aug 15, 2010
Hi Guys,
I had to buy a new pump; and bought the exact same one; hayward super pump.

I have the same setup as the picture.

The problem I have now is I took the elbow from the old pump and put it on the new one; the problem is when I tighten it ; the elbow doesn't line up like the previous one did.

I bought another elbow from pool store; it didn't line up as well.

If i get it lined up since its not tight; i get a slow leak at the bottom of the pump.

Any suggestions I can try?

Thanks,
Arthur

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 87
Can you place shims between the pump mount and the base plate?
I've seen inexpensive plastic cutting boards used as spacer material and mounting plates for chem pumps. They are pretty easy to work into customized shapes with hand tools.

Hi,
I took the elbow from old pump which was the same hayward model.
I also bought another one from pool store; it was a hayward part;
They both don't align up correctly .
My friend said put a bunch of Teflon tape
So it will stop where you want it to.
I didn't think it would be this hard.:(

If the old pump overheated then it may have distorted the pipe fitting, usually makes them taper more than they should. If pipe fitting is good I suspect teflon tape is your best bet. Note that is a Hayward custom elbow and the middle of that union has a sort of ball and socket joint to allow some flex.

Ike

Thanks for the help, I wrapped it up with Teflon tape, than slater it
In pipe dope stuff. When I put it on, I didn't tighten it all the way; just to where it would
Align to the filter.

I also waited an hour before installing in back to pool.
So far no leaks!

Thx much

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.