Another newb needs help, sorry lol

Jul 11, 2013
10k gallon concrete pool, just got a Taylor test kit, and oh yeah, my pool is a disaster! I was using strips and tablets and thought I was king. Then my pool turned green and here I am. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Today's numbers:
FC 0 ppm
CC .6 ppm
pH >8 (scale only goes up to 8)
TA 100
CH 320
CYA 115

Please help me fix this

Matt

Welcome "king"! An out of control pool will make a peasant out of anyone in short order :-D

Reduce your ph to low 7 range pronto. Consider replacing some water ( in steps) to lower the CYA to a manageable level. Consider ordering one of the test kits in pool school. Read pool school a couple times and SLAM the pool with plain old bleach.

How high is your water table? If it is normally lower than the bottom of your pool, the first thing you should do is drain and refill 1/3 of your water, then test the CYA again. Target should be between 30 and 50.

Next would be to bring your pH down with Muriatic acid, to around 7.2.

SLAM your pool as soon as you get your CYA and pH under control.

You are probably going to need large amounts of bleach. The drain and refill will reduce the target SLAM considerably.

http://www.poolcalculator.com will help with dosage.

Pool School will help with the how and why of these steps.

How did you get a CYA level of 115? The CYA test will report anything over 100 as about 100, so you may want to use dilution for the CYA test. Mix 50% pool water and 50% tap water and double the result to get a better estimate of your CYA.

thank you guys for the info. Yes, my range for the cya stops at 100, I was well past that mark so I figured it was around 115. I am in south fla so my water table is about 3' I used the calculator yesterday and put in 240oz bleach and 75oz acid.

yesterday today
FC 0 14
CC .6 .5
pH >8 7.0
TA 100 70
CH 320 320
CYA >100 95

SSDIPainGuy said:
thank you guys for the info. Yes, my range for the cya stops at 100, I was well past that mark so I figured it was around 115. I am in south fla so my water table is about 3' I used the calculator yesterday and put in 240oz bleach and 75oz acid.

Find a graduated cylinder or a measuring cup - anything that will be accurate - and mix pool water and tap water 50-50. Mix it good. Then use that as the sample water and mix it with the CYA test reagent. Take a reading, pour it back in the mixing bottle, shake it again, and take another reading. Do it as many times as you need until you start getting similar readings consistently. Then double that. That's your CYA level.

Knowing tap water has zero CYA, it's simple arithmetic to figure out how much water you should drain and refill to get the CYA number down to a reasonable level. It's probably cheaper than you think, and will likely pay for itself in reduced chlorine purchases to perform the SLAM process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.