High CYA

wjr75

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2013
IL
Hi Guys,
I have learned a lot from you guys after opening my pool this year. Unfortuantley I'm not home all the time and need to use my auto chlorinator with some Lesie's pool 3" pucks. When I opened my pool they had me put in 6lbs of stabilizer after a fresh fill. I also had some cloudiness a few weeks ago and used a few bags of the powdered shock they sell and boosted also with it. Now my CYA is 90 arggh!!! (use the FT-100 FOR TESTING). I live in the Chicago area, can I just keep my FC in the 8ppm range using bleach for the next 2 1/2 months before closing my pool? Would this still be good if my CYA might go up to 120? I want to avoid having to drain if I don't have too. Thanks in advance.

fc=8
ta=170
ch=260
cya=90
ph=7.3

What you are asking is if you can successfully operate your pool at the very outer limits of what we suggest for guidelines. The answer is, "Yes", but the caveat is, "If you're lucky"

Pools become almost unmanageable when the CYA is as high as yours and it sounds like you want to drive it higher. When it becomes cloudy again (and it almost surely will) the powder you put in there will only make the situation worse and if you get an algae bloom, you may need a tractor-trailer to bring enough chlorine to fix it. (SLAM value for a pool with 100 CYA is 40 ppm of chlorine)

So, the real answer is don't do that. Bite the bullet and drain some of the pool and get it back to where you can take care of it with reasonable amounts of chlorine.

Duraleigh was very diplomatic in his answer.

Here's mine: CYA of 90 is managable if you switch to liquid chlorine immediately, stop using pucks or powder, and test and dose every day so that you never come close to your min FC level. If any one of those things is too difficult, then no, CYA of 90 is too high.

I just went through the same thing. I started with a green swamp 5 weeks ago & used a TON of dichlor most of which was added within a 2week time frame-110 lbs l!(pool store advice). Pool store kept telling me my water tests were" fine". My pool went from green to blue, but would not clear. I struggled with no improvement after adding clarifier, flock, etc $$$(More pool store advice).Pool store said CYA was 100 & stated "that level is just fine") Then I discovered TFP & ordered my test kit. My CYA had got up to 180!! Bite the bullet & drain some water. Water is cheaper than all those chemicals. I drained down to 18 in. in shallow end & would have drained more water but I was afraid my liner would float. I am shocking with CYA of 80(SWG) & I have already used 16 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine in 3 days. I'm not through yet!! I would have been $$ ahead & had a clear, beautiful pool weeks ago if I'd have drained it in the beginning. The advice on here is AWSOME!! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.