Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2-way or 3-way valves

1. Back To Top    #1

2-way or 3-way valves

We finally pulled the trigger and are installing our pool. It is going to be 18x36 inground vinyl liner, and completely DIY (well,mostly). While I am waiting for the excavator to show up I am trying to finalize my plumbing plan and I have a question. I am planning on 4 inlet lines (1 for main drains, 2 for skimmers, and 1 for a dedicated suction line) and 4 return lines (2 for wall returns, 2 step returns on one line, and deck jets on the last line). All will be 2" pipe. I see that most people use the 3-way valves and I cannot for the life of me understand why that is preferable to installing 2-way valves on each line. Seems to me this would offer maximum flexibility. Please enlighten me.
    Springfield, Missouri
    DIY 18 x 36 vinyl IG, 3' 10"- 8' depth. Hayward Max Flo 1 1/2 HP VS pump, Ranger 30" sand filter, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated suction line, 2 colorlogic lights, and 3 Jandy deck jets, Dolphin Deluxe 5, Gulfstream HE125 heatpump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2-way or 3-way valves

I agree with you lol im for each line having a dedicated valve
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends on what you are doing. Your pool doesn't have very many things where a 3-way valve would tend to be used. But there is at least one, it might be handy to have a 3-way valve to choose between the skimmers and the main drain.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

JasonLion - thanks for the input.

Would it be better to run each skimmer all the way to the pad on separate 2" lines, or can I combine them and run 1 2" line to the pad?
    Springfield, Missouri
    DIY 18 x 36 vinyl IG, 3' 10"- 8' depth. Hayward Max Flo 1 1/2 HP VS pump, Ranger 30" sand filter, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated suction line, 2 colorlogic lights, and 3 Jandy deck jets, Dolphin Deluxe 5, Gulfstream HE125 heatpump

5. Back To Top    #5

I just re-did my pool plumbing and went with 3 Jandy 3 way valves mainly for the quality of the valve but also for the neatness of the install. They last forever and just in case they don't parts are available. It seems everytime I used a ball valve like Hayward or whatever I was always replacing the handle or cutting out the whole valve a few years later. Jandy does make a quality 2 way stop valve but it costs almost the same as the 3 way.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Ideally you want to plumb each skimmer to the pad separately. That allows you to do things like direct more suction to one of the skimmers should that happen to be needed for manual vacuuming (just for example).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I used 3 ways. On the suction side, I can select MD OR Skimmer OR both. On the pressure side, I can first send the return to the return jets OR to the step jets OR both. I can then bypass those jets and send returns to deck jets or waterfall OR both.

Honestly it seems I have a million possibilities. I will say though that my excavator, who had his pool professionally installed, just stopped by and was in awe of my pad setup. He said he had no options, simply the water came in from point A and returned to point B lol.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG