Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pollen?

1. Back To Top    #1

We have a ton of pollen on the water surface the last few days, it's a pain to put the cover on nightly it also doesn't do much either. Will this do anything to the water? I use the net to scoop everything I can out in the morning then a times throughout the day.
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

2. Back To Top    #2

Me too!

I have had mixed feelings about using a nylon footie over the strainer in my pump
    it does a good job of catching the pollen, but it coats the footie rather quickly and needs to be cleaned
    frequently. I almost think I'm further ahead letting the filter catch it all and backwashing more often.

If you can keep it off with a cover that would be great, but in my case the cover doesn't help
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina
    I use the skimmer socks (screens), but I am around to keep them changed out.

They do a great job catching the pollen, but they can fill quite quickly with heavy pollen!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    What pollen doesn't get filtered out will eventually sink to the bottom and clump together into yellowish-brownish areas which might make you think you have algae. It's a very, very soft substance and will swirl up and dissipate at even the gentlest water movement. When you brush it, it looks like a cloud of dust in the water.

It vacuums up easily if you go slowly with the vacuum so you don't stir it up. During pollen season you may have to vac daily, or keep brushing and keep the pump running in the hope of filtering it out.

We've had great success using the solar cover which has kept most, but not all, pollen out of the water. I had to give up on the skimmer socks when pollen was heaviest because the amount of it in the sock had begun to impede water flow from the return. But I did vacuum daily.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5
    I also use and recommend skimmer socks
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal