Installing Intex sand filter 2650 g/hr

rtmac

Jul 11, 2013
We just received our Intex Krystal clear sand filter (2650 g/hr) and would like to switch out our existing 1000 g/hr cartridge filter. Can this be done with water in the pool? I see that the fittings are larger and I want to make sure that I am installing correctly. I have looked through previous posts and noticed some of you have switched out the standard filter for this model. Looking for advice, videos and of course wisdom! Thanks in advance!

Yes, it can be done with water in the pool.

A large bowl held against the inside of the pool, with the inside part of the new fitting in the bowl, will allow you to use the nut to mark your cut line on the outside. From there it's just a matter of cutting, pushing the old fitting into the bowl and pulling the new fitting into place.

rtmac said:
We just received our Intex Krystal clear sand filter (2650 g/hr) and would like to switch out our existing 1000 g/hr cartridge filter. Can this be done with water in the pool? I see that the fittings are larger and I want to make sure that I am installing correctly. I have looked through previous posts and noticed some of you have switched out the standard filter for this model. Looking for advice, videos and of course wisdom! Thanks in advance!

Charlie_R said:
Yes, it can be done with water in the pool.

A large bowl held against the inside of the pool, with the inside part of the new fitting in the bowl, will allow you to use the nut to mark your cut line on the outside. From there it's just a matter of cutting, pushing the old fitting into the bowl and pulling the new fitting into place.

ummm.... when i upgraded my 1000 gph pump to the 2650, i simply closed the plunger valves, and then unscrewed the intex hoses from the old pump, screwed them onto the new pump, opened plunger valves... and all was good. if its an intex pump replacing an intex pump, there is no need to replace fittings. in fact, the ones that came with my 2650 pump were identical to the ones that came with the 1000 gph pump. (rtmac, which pool do you have?)

now, you are correct about using a bowl pressed up against hole/fitting to slow water loss when working on it. when i hard plumbed my pool and replaced plunger valves with ball valves, i had my son hold a bowl inside the pool against fitting. lost very little water.

FYI, a wadded up plastic walmart sack works equally well when held up against the fittings. :wink:

Thanks for the responses. We have the Intex Ultra 14x48. Gtnos, I think I can just use the black covers to prevent the water from coming out and switch to the new hoses/filter. I think we are just wishing that we can use the bigger fittings (much bigger opening to suck the water through!). Will the pump do a good job with those little fittings? Next year, do we cut the openings (yikes!) a little to mount the new fittings?

One question are you using the small inlet and outlet that comes with the 1000gph? Is so u will have to use the B adapters that comes with the sand filter,just put the black covers in front of the strainer inside the pool and also do the same thing for the return after that just use the B adapters and put on the plungervalve and reconnect the hoses the pool and pump.

Or u can make the holes bigger and use the large inlet and outlet that comes with the pump.

BTW( i don't like to use the B adapters because i feel it restrics the waterflow).

I has assumed that your pool had the small fittings. I didn't ask, sorry.

The B adapters have a habit of slipping off, if the pool moves a lot from kids splashing around. Particularly the return (pressure) side.

Having the black caps does make it a bit easier, if you decide to cut in the larger through wall fittings. They will allow you to prep everything before cutting. Then you can use the bowl, and not lose much water. When I did mine, I lost maybe a gallon per fitting.

Everything I read said to cut the holes larger, so that's what I did on mine. I have the pump that is a little smaller than yours and it's super easy to cut the holes out. USE A FRESH BLADE and don't cut the holes too small. It actually causes it to leak. :goodjob:

EDIT: BTW, I tried looking for videos on people actually cutting the holes and never found one. :pth: Just use the inner part of your black rubber washer to trace the hole you want to cut. Hope that makes sense... :wink:

One more quick question. Should we put Teflon tape or silicone around the new hole? There is a video out there of someone putting silicone around the holes but I am thinking he left his pool up year round. We live in MN and plan on taking it down in the fall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rtmac said:
One more quick question. Should we put Teflon tape or silicone around the new hole? There is a video out there of someone putting silicone around the holes but I am thinking he left his pool up year round. We live in MN and plan on taking it down in the fall.

not as long as your new fittings have gaskets, which they should. thats all I used on my hayward skimmer was the gasket. doesnt leak a drop. also, these intex liners cut and puncture easily, so be careful with that knife. fortunately, they also repair easily!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.