Drained my pool - now I need help.

Jun 18, 2012
Ok, so I was debating draining my small IG pool vs. chemically getting rid of my major algae problem. After calling my water department and finding out, at most, it would cost $75 for water, I decided to drain, clean, refill. Well, I've got it mostly drained, but the pressure washer isn't as effective against the built up algae that coats the bottom of my pool. I have snapped a few pictures of what I'm dealing with. I'll post a link to them below. You'll notice in the picture the green spots in most of the pictures. Now on the pictures of the turtles, you'll see white scaly stuff on the back. It can be scraped off with a knife/fingernail. In the picture with the starfish, there is some yellowish colored "stuff" that appears throughout the pool as well. I realize there is debris at the pool bottom that will be swept out when all is said and done, but I haven't been able to see my pool bottom in a long time, so vaccuming it blind was kind of tough, and my pool had major plumbing issues until recently.

Anyhow, my question is, what is the best method to get rid of all these scaly (maybe the wrong word to use) green spots and other "stuff" that litters my pool bottom?

Let me know if there are issues with the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98746749@N03/

Thanks,

Chris

I did not think it was advisable to fully drain fiberglass pools. Do you know your ground water level?

The flakes youare finding could be calcium scaling that has been stained by the algea. See is some diluted muriatic acid bubbles up on them.

Jason,

I don't specifically know my ground water level, but based off when we dug up the plumbing next to the pool and the fact that the plumbing leak I had didn't saturate the ground next to my pool, and the dry 100+ degree weather without rain for weeks, my pool guy advised that I would more than likely be safe draining it without worrying about floating it. That isn't a guarantee, but it was his opinion along with mine that it should be ok.

I do appreciate the note of caution though. With all that being said, you think that the scaly "stuff" is calcium buildup that can be removed with diluted muriatic acid? If that is so, what is the ratio I should dilute to?

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.