Small Gunite pool in Houston done, pics updated 8/17/13

Re: New Small IG Gunite pool in Houston Tx

TexSS said:
I feel for you. We were supposed to start digging today in Cypress but due to all the rain here this week and threat of more this weekend the PB wants to wait another week to let things dry out before digging.

I understand what their reasoning is but it just sucks that we have had no rain for almost 2 to 3 months and now it all decides to get caught up.

Good luck!

Sounds like they are trying to do it right. If they dig and it rains there is risk of collapse from the walls until they get the gunite in it. Our yard is hard clay but a lot of people around here have a lot of sand and have had collapses this past week due to the rain.

With all the rain we've had our gunite held up very well. 24 hours after they shot the shell they stopped the sump pump and the shell filled up with water. The water level got about a foot and half from the top but has gone down about 6" since the last picture I took of it. No signs of problems. Your shell should be solid by now and once they apply the finish it should seal it so no water can get in any cracks if there are any.

Once they get the gunite in no problem with rain. It is when it is sitting with the rebar and it rains that peoples dirt walls are failing.
Ours was during the gunite shoot due to sitting water behind the gunite.

Still hoping someone on here has some knowledge with what we can expect from this patch.

Re: New Small Gunite pool in Houston Tx, lots of Pics! Quest

May I ask what PB you used? I'm in need of a re-plaster and would like to do a small refurbish at the same time. Are you going with a SWG? I didn't see a tree anywhere in sight. Plan to keep your CYA higher than normal, the sunlight here eats chlorine.

rjledoux said:
May I ask what PB you used? I'm in need of a re-plaster and would like to do a small refurbish at the same time. Are you going with a SWG? I didn't see a tree anywhere in sight. Plan to keep your CYA higher than normal, the sunlight here eats chlorine.

I sent you a pm with who we are using. Yes, we are getting a Hayward SWG. Thanks for the heads up on the CYA. Got to order my TF 100 kit soon. :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

zephard said:
Are there any future issues with them having to patch it like this? The patch was not blown in and it shows as the area is not smooth and is wavy (tried to show this in third pic). Basically the ground was really wet behind that wall and the gunite was not dry enough so it fell off. The first time all the way to the rebar and the second time a larger area but not as deep. They patched it with a bucket of gunite and their hands sticking fingers in it to see if it was hardening. Will we have more risk of structural issues? Cracks?
Our PB seemed a little concerned and asked some questions of his sub that I did not hear. The gunite company acted like they were not concerned at all.
We have been watering. PB has not been by to see it since Gunite.

PB was here today. He said that there is no cold joint with gunite and that the patch is good. It really isn't a patch since it was put in while things were still wet is my thinking on it. I am good with it and things are moving along.

So today, we had the Coping and Tile get put on, along with our equipment getting delivered (just delivered).

So onto the pictures:

DSC02013.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02017.jpg

DSC02019.jpg

DSC02020.jpg

DSC02022.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

DSC02027.jpg

DSC02028.jpg

Well they say that my coping is straight but not my gunite. :(
DSC02030.jpg

DSC02031.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

DSC02034.jpg

DSC02035.jpg

DSC02036.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

That is it for today.

Re: New Small Gunite pool in Houston Tx, Pics tile/coping

So plumbing started, and I posted in a different thread my worries about the 1.5 inch returns that was installed. I will include the picture here. So all the intakes are 2 inch, and the return starts out 2in, but then T and it turns into all 1.5 inch.

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02042.jpg

DSC02043.jpg

DSC02044.jpg

DSC02045.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

Comments welcome.

Re: New Small Gunite pool in Houston Tx, Pics Plumbing

Electrical work was done today. The one day that we give up and go eat, figuring they would not show up, they show up. Luckily there was someone at the house, for I forgot to unlock the breaker box.

(one thing that has happened through this pool build so far, it the lack of knowing when the workers would actually show up to do this work)

Pictures:

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02064.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

They made it all wet around it, so I could not open up and see anything. Also it was late, getting dark, so the pictures came out only with the flash.

Re: Small Gunite pool in Houston pics from dig to pre-deckin

The guys that is going to do the decking came to smash up our current patio and in the process of getting the sand delievered the dump truck driver broke a fence post.

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02078.jpg

DSC02079.jpg

Re: Small Gunite pool in Houston pics from dig to decking

Thanks. They are suppose to saw cut it in to squares. I don't know if the color it is, is the stain or if they are coming back to stain it and seal it. I know we chose a light color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.