Hubby is in the hospital and the pump is stopping!

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Ok, I'm on my own for a week and the pump is stopping and starting by itself. My friend just checked it out and it is so hot, when he poured a dribble of water on it it boiled away instantly. I'm thinking it needs to be replaced. Even though it is 100 here, it is in the shade under the solar panels and has free air movement all around it. It is a 1.5hp Sta-Rite for a 15 x 30 above ground pool. I've always read about 2 speed pumps and over sized pumps and would just like someone to take me by the hand and tell me what to get and maybe a suggestion as to where to get it. We don't get leaves and debris in our pool, but sure do get a lot of silt daily. Wanda the Whale is in the pool a lot and I still need to vac by hand in some spots daily.
[attachment=0:1842ej0z]pool pump.jpg[/attachment:1842ej0z]

Thanks so much for your help.

Is the pump making a lot of noise while it is running? It is definitely overheating and turning itself off, the question is why.

You can either just replace the motor portion or replace the entire pump/motor combo. The later may require plumbing work and wires. The former is just a few bolts and wires.

I see that the pump is listed as a 115V motor. The problem is it is a little more difficult to find 2-speed motors that are 115V.

BTW, the SPL after the 1.5HP means that the motor is really more like a 1HP motor.

It is worth checking some simple things first. It is possible this is being caused by blocked water flow. Make sure you are getting good strong water flow from the returns. If not, check the skimmer basket, pump strainer basket and see if the filter needs to be cleaned/backwashed.

No noise while running, however it does buzz a bit upon start up. My friend is an electrician and told me it is using more power to start so something is kicking in to get it started. Do I need to stay with 115v? All baskets are clear. Pressure after back washing is usually 16 and is now 19. I can try back washing after work, before visiting the hospital, but it's typically not a very spectacular experience as it's only slightly murky when we do it.

Thanks

Staying with 115 would be easiest ... you could ask the question of the electrician friend. If they can to a 230 setup for you it opens up many possibilities. Were the baskets and whatnot clear? No blockages?

Watertemp shouldn't affect anything. I'm not seeing any direct 2 speed motor replacements that would do the job. Depending on budget you are probably best off with a 2speed pump from a long term standpoint. Short term a replacement 1 speed motor is cheap and fast. IMHO - replace the pump with a 2 speed.

... a question worth asking - do you have plumbing skills or have access to a plumber? If so you should be able to order whatever pump you want online (I like http://www.poolsupplyworld.com) and have your electrician friend hook it up with a little help from a plumber (honestly the electrician could probably do it no problem if you don't have the skills).

There are folks far better versed than I in pump selection around here so I'm going to step out. Good luck ... I'll check back in on the thread occasionally. You will probably have more information than you want or need in the next hour.

One thing I read that had not been mentioned if you have Wanda plugged in. Try a day with the vacuum hose removed from the skimmer/vac fitting. You can leave her in the pool, just disconnect the hose. If it is like mine, she us plugged to the base of the skimmer. Just remove the hose from the skimmer and take out the adapter cone, if its there. Then put the skimmer basket back into the skimmer.

It's possible the Wanda and her hose are creating too much load on the pump. I know my system has a harder time with diverDan online. It may buy you a few days/weeks until your poll boy is home and healthy.

What are your pressures on the filter?

It is possible Wanda plugged your filter up with debris? I know if I leave my Diver on when the pool has heavy debris, the filter plugs up quickly and pressure rise very high.

If the pressure is too high, the pump will cycle off on it internal thermal protectors and then come back on when the protectors reset and then cycle back off (and get hot again)... repeat

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you use the BBB methods taught here? The silt comment has me thinking you may have dying algae. That does not solve your problem but it might explain that aspect.

A simple 1spd direct replacement can be had. However someone needs to verify the pump (water moving parts) impeller is able to turn freely when disconnected from the motor. If they are then you can get by with just a quick motor swap.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Shelley N said:
No noise while running, however it does buzz a bit upon start up. My friend is an electrician and told me it is using more power to start so something is kicking in to get it started. Do I need to stay with 115v? All baskets are clear. Pressure after back washing is usually 16 and is now 19. I can try back washing after work, before visiting the hospital, but it's typically not a very spectacular experience as it's only slightly murky when we do it.

Thanks
I would more concerned with pressure rise on guage than appearance of backflushed water.

This covers doing work on the pump. If you are comfortable with the work detailed in the video you should be good to go. Pull the pump apart and make sure everything spins freely ( kill the power at the breaker box first).

If not ... Find a family friend that is or call a pool repair company (ouch) and run the quotes by us...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6xGIdsnKy5 ... xGIdsnKy5M

I can paint a shed, but I'm not the person for that wiring/discharging/replacing of the motor thing. :?

Yes, we use BBB. Pool has never had any algae ever in 7 years. When your dirt particles are clay, and you have windy afternoons, it is unavoidable. I've looked at it under a microscope before thinking the same thing as you, but alas...it's dirt. Unfortunately, a large particle sand filter isn't the best filtering medium but it's what we have.

Is there anything wrong with this: http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/p ... Qgodin8ArQ $129 and looks very similar to what I have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.