Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hubby is in the hospital and the pump is stopping!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hubby is in the hospital and the pump is stopping!

Ok, I'm on my own for a week and the pump is stopping and starting by itself. My friend just checked it out and it is so hot, when he poured a dribble of water on it it boiled away instantly. I'm thinking it needs to be replaced. Even though it is 100 here, it is in the shade under the solar panels and has free air movement all around it. It is a 1.5hp Sta-Rite for a 15 x 30 above ground pool. I've always read about 2 speed pumps and over sized pumps and would just like someone to take me by the hand and tell me what to get and maybe a suggestion as to where to get it. We don't get leaves and debris in our pool, but sure do get a lot of silt daily. Wanda the Whale is in the pool a lot and I still need to vac by hand in some spots daily.
    [attachment=0:1842ej0z]pool pump.jpg[/attachment:1842ej0z]

Thanks so much for your help.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hubby is in the hospital and the pump is stopping!

Is the pump making a lot of noise while it is running? It is definitely overheating and turning itself off, the question is why.

You can either just replace the motor portion or replace the entire pump/motor combo. The later may require plumbing work and wires. The former is just a few bolts and wires.

I see that the pump is listed as a 115V motor. The problem is it is a little more difficult to find 2-speed motors that are 115V.

BTW, the SPL after the 1.5HP means that the motor is really more like a 1HP motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is worth checking some simple things first. It is possible this is being caused by blocked water flow. Make sure you are getting good strong water flow from the returns. If not, check the skimmer basket, pump strainer basket and see if the filter needs to be cleaned/backwashed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

No noise while running, however it does buzz a bit upon start up. My friend is an electrician and told me it is using more power to start so something is kicking in to get it started. Do I need to stay with 115v? All baskets are clear. Pressure after back washing is usually 16 and is now 19. I can try back washing after work, before visiting the hospital, but it's typically not a very spectacular experience as it's only slightly murky when we do it.

Thanks
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

5. Back To Top    #5

Staying with 115 would be easiest ... you could ask the question of the electrician friend. If they can to a 230 setup for you it opens up many possibilities. Were the baskets and whatnot clear? No blockages?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

No blockage, but the water temp is 94 and it got up to 101 today.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

7. Back To Top    #7

Watertemp shouldn't affect anything. I'm not seeing any direct 2 speed motor replacements that would do the job. Depending on budget you are probably best off with a 2speed pump from a long term standpoint. Short term a replacement 1 speed motor is cheap and fast. IMHO - replace the pump with a 2 speed.

... a question worth asking - do you have plumbing skills or have access to a plumber? If so you should be able to order whatever pump you want online (I like http://www.poolsupplyworld.com) and have your electrician friend hook it up with a little help from a plumber (honestly the electrician could probably do it no problem if you don't have the skills).

There are folks far better versed than I in pump selection around here so I'm going to step out. Good luck ... I'll check back in on the thread occasionally. You will probably have more information than you want or need in the next hour.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here's hoping hubby gets better soon!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

One thing I read that had not been mentioned if you have Wanda plugged in. Try a day with the vacuum hose removed from the skimmer/vac fitting. You can leave her in the pool, just disconnect the hose. If it is like mine, she us plugged to the base of the skimmer. Just remove the hose from the skimmer and take out the adapter cone, if its there. Then put the skimmer basket back into the skimmer.

It's possible the Wanda and her hose are creating too much load on the pump. I know my system has a harder time with diverDan online. It may buy you a few days/weeks until your poll boy is home and healthy.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

What are your pressures on the filter?

It is possible Wanda plugged your filter up with debris? I know if I leave my Diver on when the pool has heavy debris, the filter plugs up quickly and pressure rise very high.

If the pressure is too high, the pump will cycle off on it internal thermal protectors and then come back on when the protectors reset and then cycle back off (and get hot again)... repeat
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Budget is tight. I'm looking for replacement sta rites and it isn't that easy. Can I get a different brand? Also, the price ranges so significantly and I can't really tell the difference.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

12. Back To Top    #12

With a tight budget go for the replacement motor.

It will be less work and cheaper than a full pump replacement.

13. Back To Top    #13

Trying to hunt down a direct replacement motor for you...

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you use the BBB methods taught here? The silt comment has me thinking you may have dying algae. That does not solve your problem but it might explain that aspect.

A simple 1spd direct replacement can be had. However someone needs to verify the pump (water moving parts) impeller is able to turn freely when disconnected from the motor. If they are then you can get by with just a quick motor swap.

Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley N
    No noise while running, however it does buzz a bit upon start up. My friend is an electrician and told me it is using more power to start so something is kicking in to get it started. Do I need to stay with 115v? All baskets are clear. Pressure after back washing is usually 16 and is now 19. I can try back washing after work, before visiting the hospital, but it's typically not a very spectacular experience as it's only slightly murky when we do it.

Thanks
    I would more concerned with pressure rise on guage than appearance of backflushed water.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

16. Back To Top    #16

This covers doing work on the pump. If you are comfortable with the work detailed in the video you should be good to go. Pull the pump apart and make sure everything spins freely ( kill the power at the breaker box first).

If not ... Find a family friend that is or call a pool repair company (ouch) and run the quotes by us...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6xGIdsnKy5 ... xGIdsnKy5M

17. Back To Top    #17

I can paint a shed, but I'm not the person for that wiring/discharging/replacing of the motor thing.

Yes, we use BBB. Pool has never had any algae ever in 7 years. When your dirt particles are clay, and you have windy afternoons, it is unavoidable. I've looked at it under a microscope before thinking the same thing as you, but alas...it's dirt. Unfortunately, a large particle sand filter isn't the best filtering medium but it's what we have.

Is there anything wrong with this: http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/p ... Qgodin8ArQ $129 and looks very similar to what I have.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

18. Back To Top    #18

Going to bump the thread for someone that is moe familiar with AGP than I to respond...