Would this used filter/pump work well for a 14'x42" Intex?

Jul 4, 2013
Looking to upgrade my "baby pump" to something more substantial so I can add an in-wall skimmer and get more suction with our pool vacuum. The person selling say it was just used one summer. Hayward Power Flo (1hp) and a "Vari Flow", though I think that refers to the valve, not the actual sand filter?

They're asking $150 for the pump and filter, I'm hoping to get $100 if it's a good deal.

What else would I be looking at cost wise? Would I need to PVC pipe the whole pool? Or would this work with the stock intake and return on the pool for now? I won't add the in-wall skimmer till later. Anything else I should know or think through?

What should I checkout on the filter/pump to insure that they are in good working order?

Attachments

• 1-IMAG0404.jpg
    1-IMAG0404.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 155
Re: Would this used filter/pump work well for a 14'x42" Inte

That should be more than adequate (hopefully you would not get a whirlpool) ... infact likely plenty big to later support a larger pool.

Make sure the pump turns on and is not too noisy. Ideally you would inspect the laterals inside the filter for damage (assuming there is not sand in it).

I think you would have some work to get adapters to work with the intex fittings, but there are threads that discuss this.

I would be hesitant on using just the one Intex intake, I would recommend putting in a real Hayward skimmer....look for the threads out there describing it. It's not to bad and then you won't have to worry about suction injuries with that small Intex inlet.

Plumb that baby with PVC and you will be loving life. If you want to have some real fun, replace the Intex return with a real hayward 1 1/2" return and get one of those "venturi" style jets and you will be amazed at the flow.

Bob E.

I still haven't decided if we're keeping to pool up for the winter, I'm in western Oregon, so our pool season is short. I'm guessing that PVC plumbing would make it more of pain to take down? Or not necessarily?

If you add a few unions in the pipes, I would think it would be pretty reasonable to take down and put back up.

i second the skimmer idea. The idea that this pump will get sucking in some little girl's hair would motivate me to use a skimmer. Most skimmer include the return fitting anyway do it's a no-cost addition and then you can use standard AG hoses or use PVC. I have had my pool for more than 7 years with AG hoses.

Is your pool an Intex? JMHO, but if your looking at 100-150 for a used pump, I'd just spend a few more bucks and get a new Intex sand filter. I just got the 16" 2650 gpm model for $179 shipped to my door. I believe the 14" 1600 gpm was $159. And it should come with everything you need to hook it right up.

Well my daughter has very long curly hair, so I definitely want to avoid anything related to that. If I got an in-wall skimmer, would I still need/use the standard (or upgraded hayward) intake? Or would the skimmer replace the need for that?

I've looked at the Intex sand filter, but was a little worried about it's longevity as compared to the Haywards? Not an issue? I know I'm using a small pool, and this stuff won't last forever.

If you installed a Hayward (or HydroTools) skimmer you would be done and then can buy hoses and accessories at any pool store or WalMart (HD..Lowes...) This kit comes witht he skimmer, a return with hose fitting, the vacuum hose adapter plate for standard pool hose and the hose adapter for the base of the skimmer body to attach hoses. If you go with PVC, you need a couple threaded-x-slip fittings.

Like this one:
31qPwM%2B9wVL._SY355_.jpg

LINK

All you need are pipes or hoses to connect to the pump.

Is your Intex an Ultra Frame with threaded fittings? Then the Intex hoses can be adapted to the Hayward 1-1/2" NPT with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intex-Fitting-t ... OC:US:3160

I have a 1 HP Hayward that was drawing through nothing but the Intex outlet fitting and valve and there were no problems keeping up with the pump's demands. And my little girl's hair never got caught!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I can't speak to the longevity, mine is pretty new. However my initial impression is it looks to be a solid, quality unit. I'm happy with it.

I got mine from vminnovations, happy with their price and service as well.

IMO you can never have too much pump for a pool, assuming you are willing to pay for it. You can have too little (I did for several seasons). My pump/filter look exactly like that one. I would hard plumb with PVC and add unions. Disconnecting will be easy then.

If you get the Intex 2650 or 1600, (although the 2650 is a better deal), they'll both hook directly to the Hayward skimmer with just a hose clamp, the Hayward comes with a hose barb connector which the larger hoses that come with the 2650 and 1600 fit right over.

Having recently disassembling an Intex 2500gph pump, I can tell you it was interesting to say the least. The pump motor is a simple open frame motor under a plastic cover with a small press on plastic fan on one end to provide cooling. The actual impleller is small and extreamly light duty. Yes, it works and works very well with PVC plumbing but if you have the capabilities and you know you are going to do the pool thing for awhile, I would recommend the Hayward setup.....most if not all is rebuildable with replacement parts everywhere. With Intex, there are no factory replacement bearings, impellers nor anything else other than covers and other external things.....nothing for real replacement value.

Bob E.

Noise wise, how would the Hayward combo or the intex 2500+ sand filter compare to the stock pump? (1000g per hour). I've enjoyed it being so quiet, but know that we will take a decibel hit to some degree. The pump is RIGHT outside our bedroom window.

If you are talking about the small tower style, filter on top pump underneath, then you need to replace it with a larger set.

The 1000 gph tower type is essentially trash, as far as filtering goes. Main reason this is true -- draw through design. Pump draws through the filter, instead of filtering the output from the pump. As designed, you might get 1000 gph without the filter, and with short, straight runs from a tank to the pump, and receiver tank below pump level. This is the largest "draw through" that Intex makes, thankfully.

The rest of the offerings are pressure side filtration, and there is a world of difference! The smallest of the better designs (that I know about), the 1500 gph (model 635) with the pump separate from the filter, is a pressure side filter, and does a lot better than the draw through design. Still uses the type A carts, and that is still too small of filter area.

Now if Intex would sell a DE filter......

I don't know about the Hayward or the Intex 1000 gob.

I do know the Intex 2650 sand filter is no more noisy than the Intex 1500 gph cartridge filter it replaced. During the day from the ladder side of the pool I don't hear it.

I've got the Intex skimmer and deluxe vacuum set up. With the old 1500 cartridge filter I used to use just the hose without the vacuum head to get the debris off the pool bottom cause it just didn't work with the vacuum head. Now with the 2650, I can vacuum with the vacuum head and it picks up the debris just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.