Pump / Motor question - Replace or not???

Jul 25, 2010
I have received help from you guys (& gals :) ) before and I have always received great advise from this forum. This particular question/issue is with my sister...

She has a 10 x 20 Kidney pool (rough 5,000 gals) gunite pool. Her current setup is the following:

Cartridge Filter
1.5" Piping
2 Water features (waterfall & 3 hydrotherapy jets)
The pump is Pentair 340078 OptiFlo @ 2HP.

In 2 1/2 years this is the second motor that this pump has (1st one died under warranty and this week the motor died again). While seeking for ways for repairing it someone told us that this motor is for an above ground pool or SPA and not for an inground pool.

So here is the question, Should I repair this pump (get a new motor) or Should I replace the whole pump & Motor with a proper pool pump for an inground pool?

In my case I had a waterway 2.5 Pump and I replaced it with a A.O. Smith B2984 with integrated timer so I downsized to a 2HP motor but a 2 speed and I am saving a lot of $$$ in electricity (I received the ROI in less than 6 months) With the costs of electricity here in PR near $0.30 Kwh perhaps switching to an efficient unit is the smart thing to do...

I would like to receive some feedback and better understand if this pump (48 frame-thru bolt motor) is ok for her current setup or if she should replace it. If she does not needs to replace the motor what options does she has for a more efficient one.

Again, thanks in advance for your help!!!!

The OptiFlo is technically an aboveground pool pump but if it's working in her application there's nothing that says you have to change it.

However, since the motor is bad and given the cost of power where you are I'd seriously consider one of the smaller VS pumps. With the VS pump she can fine tune the system for adequate flow and power savings.

awesome! thanks for the prompt response... pump has been working "ok" for her setup, her main concern is that after cleaning the filter the waterfall clogs way to fast within a few hours ( that might be the filter tough)

how about a 2 speed pump. when I did the change, I am currently saving over$30.00 every month on my electricity bill. This being the case, do you know if there it's a direct fit for this pump for a2 speed motor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.