buying a vacuum today or tomorrow

Apr 29, 2013
NE Oklahoma
If you have a standard skimmer installed, you can use standard AG hoses and vacuums and not use "Intex" specific tools.

I have read good things about some of the pool vacuums that do not use the Intex pump. Leaf vacuums only work well if you have a large number of large leaves on the floor of the pool and don't help with the fine debris. Search the forums here for "pool brooms".

As for Amazon ratings, I look for at least 4 stars and a fair number of real reviews before I consider a product reliable. 3 star products don't get a chance with me.

I do not have a skimmer installed, just the upgraded pump. Pending how things go, I'm planning on adding a skimmer next year. I don't normally buy much off amazon for less than 4-5 stars either, but price bracket pickings were kinda slim and I'm unfamiliar with the products.

That pool broom looks perfect! I didn't even think of searching for a broom. And it's cheaper than what I in amazon. Sounds like a winner. I hardly have any leaves in the pool, tho I'm sure that might change at the end of the season. I go out every morning, look things over, maybe test the water, and get any bugs or whatever with a net. So I don't think large debrie is going to be a problem.

Glad I asked! Thanks!

I had the poolblaster catfish. It lasted less than a year before the rechargeable batttery wouldn't take a charge anymore. To avoid that issue again I bought the aquabroom. Takes 5 D-cell batteries. I've only used it a couple of times so far, but I like it more than the catfish I had. I believe this one has more suction. Can't say anything about longevity though as I've had it only a week. Bought it hoping it would pick up the sand in my pool. Sucks it up easily.

I am going on year three with the catfish. I had read about the problems with the batteries going bad . During the winter I charged the batteries on the catfish about every six weeks. I does work well but I am sure a vacuum hooked to a large pump works better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just an update.

It arrived and was a piece of cake to use and worked fabulously.

The only quibble I have is it takes two people with very dry hands to turn the thing on and off. There isn't an actual switch. You have to turn the handle that holds the batteries until its loose enough that the batteries don't start the vac. But it's really hard to grab and is tight enough that I have to get out of the pool, yell at a teen to grab the vac end, dry your hands with a towel and both of us turn in opposite directions until it loosens. So um. Points for making it a good seal and adding to my workout routine I suppose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.