Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudiness

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudiness

Why is my pool so cloudy and yucky looking?

I did notice it was looking a little yellowish on the bottom after I had left the cover off overnight......so I did a OCLT last night and it was fine. I am guessing it is just pollen and **** from the trees.

My levels are currently:
    FC=4
    PH=7.7
    TA=150
    CYA=45

*I added the appropriate bleach this morning as necessary to bring fc up and also bring ph down a little.

Still, why would my water be so cloudy. I attached some pics that will hopefully show the cloudiness. Thank you for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudiness

If you added bleach to get to your current levels, that implies that the FC was lower before you added the bleach. If the FC was too low for too long, then algae can grow. You now report a 4 ppm FC, but what was the FC before you added bleach and what was the FC the last time you added bleach (before this time) and when was that?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Hotter weather, hotter water, more pool usage, not enough circulation, pollen--but most likely too low Fc numbers.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    If you added bleach to get to your current levels, that implies that the FC was lower before you added the bleach. If the FC was too low for too long, then algae can grow. You now report a 4 ppm FC, but what was the FC before you added bleach and what was the FC the last time you added bleach (before this time) and when was that?
    Sorry I wasn't very specific and didn't post all the info necessary.

At end of day last night, my FC level was 4.5 (after very sunny warm day). This morning I checked it first thing and it was at 4. THEN, per the pool calculator, I added bleach to bring FC up to my target of 6.
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h

5. Back To Top    #5

So should i raise my FC to shock level?

or since i only lost .5 overnight, assume the cloudiness issue is just from not covering pool overnight and pollen getting in?

6. Back To Top    #6

Probably the latter. See if it clears up through filtration. If not, then you can shock, but given the low overnight loss it may be pollen, though that does create some (not too much) chlorine demand itself.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

As always, thank you all for your help. Hoping for clear waters soon.....