Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock: product and price point recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock: product and price point recommendations

What line of shock do you recommend using for a salt water pool? Can you order shock online for a good price?

The one price point I have been unhappy with at my local pool store is shock. I use a Multi-magic shock and swim. They charge about $5.50 a lb. (Please don't ridicule me, I know that is high). I'm planning on checking the other local stores. Do you have any advice on what to look for?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock: product and price point recommendations

Bleach....

Oh you're about to get SLAMmed....In the most nice and helpful way...

Best,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, I will bite ... since Sciz is being so cryptic

Why do you feel the need to "shock" {whatever that means} your pool? If you are maintaining adequate FC (and your SWG should be doing that) based on your CYA level (see pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock) then you never need to add any extra chlorine on a weekly basis or whatever.

IF you run into a problem like high CC, or algae, or cloudy water. Then you need to follow the SLAM Process which will certainly require the use of one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Also, it is rarely a good idea to use any kind of solid chlorine as they all have side-effects and are usually more expensive. Liquid chlorine (bleach) is usually the best product to use to raise the FC level if required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for picking it up jblizzle - someone has to be serious around here...

@nud1l - the quick take away here is there are products that you can use to maintain a balanced pool that are probably cheaper (and better) than pool store products...I have an SWG and since starting it up around April, I haven't had to add any additional chlorine product at all - I'm letting the SWG do all of the work. You'll get a lot of good advice here - Pool School and a good test kit (recommended here) is a great start...

Best, Sciz.
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

5. Back To Top    #5

My CYA is Satisfactory at 75 ppm. My SWG is not rated properly for my pool. The pool is 47,000 gallons and the SWG is rated less than that, but I forget how much. Running at 100% for 8 hours a day leaves my at about 0.8 Free CL. This only becomes an issue when the air temperature gets above 90 degrees for a while.

CC is less than 1. No cloudiness. Minimal algae that I brush off. I have the TF-100 kit and have been very happy with the consistency of my measurements.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by nud1l
    What line of shock do you recommend using for a salt water pool? Can you order shock online for a good price?

The one price point I have been unhappy with at my local pool store is shock. I use a Multi-magic shock and swim. They charge about $5.50 a lb. (Please don't ridicule me, I know that is high). I'm planning on checking the other local stores. Do you have any advice on what to look for?
    None of the Above.

Assuming you test your water fairly consistently and adjust the SWG as needed, there is no reason to ever need to add "shock."

If you develop an algae bloom such that the SWG can't keep up with the demand, then you need to SLAM the pool, and either bleach or liquid pool chlorine is the way to go.

Chlorine
    SLAM

[center:1fwry8kz][/center:1fwry8kz]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

@ jblizzle: bleach? do you mean like clorox from the super market?

Sorry for the poor writing. I'm in a rush and will check back later.

8. Back To Top    #8

Minimal algae that I brush off.
    Well, that right there says you need to follow the SLAM Process. The constant battle with algae is using up all the FC that the SWG will generate. If you follow the process correctly and thoroughly, then you will be able to maintain more FC with the SWG alone. And if 8 hours is not enough, then you need to raise the pump run time to make more FC, or supplement with bleach to ensure the FC does not get too low again allowing the algae to start.

YES plain old bleach (which is now 8.25% instead of 6% strength) or you can use liquid chlorine which is either 10% or 12.5% strength:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

@ jblizzle: bleach? do you mean like clorox from the super market?
    Yep, he means bleach, like Clorox from the supermarket.

Me, I use shock from one of the big online pool stores. Current price is as low as $2.50/lb of 68% available Cl. I shop around a bit, but not much, for price. Free delivery from the places I buy from.

I've got a gunite pool with a leak, so I can readily use the calcium in the cal hypo shock I buy. Otherwise, my Ca values get too low.

Pick your poison. Bleach is almost perfect, but it takes a lot to treat 47,000 gallons of water. If your Ca is high, cal hypo isn't right for you, though.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes Bleach as in laundry bleach, or Liquid Chlorine (AKA Liquid shock). They both have the same active ingredient (Sodium Hypochlorite) just in different strengths. That (Liquid) Sodium Hypochlorite) is the preferred chemical for raiseing chlorine as it has minimal side effects to your other levels.

If you live in a state with a Menards they have a sale going on right now. gallon jugs of 12.5% liquid shock for 2.25 untill the 14th.

Even walmart should have 10% liquid chlorine.

Perhaps if you SLAM your pool untill you pass the OCLT your SWG will do a better job of keeping up. Any alge in the pool can consume it as fast as your SWG is making it....and then just imagine while its not running.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

[center:3es001da][/center:3es001da]
    find, you will

okay, i'm ready for it...
    15K gal, 16'x32' oval, AG vinyl, 1.5 HP Splapool pump, Astralpool 120sqft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaTrol Digital SWG with Turbocell t-cell-5, Pool installed 6/1/2013, Wanda the Whale cleaning robot
    I like the TF-100 test kit | Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the input.