A Few Small Patches of Algae

May 24, 2010
My pool water is crystal clear, but there are 3-4 small patches of dark green algae in the deep end, each about 3in x 6in or so. I think they've been there for a few weeks. Is brushing and shocking the only way to eliminate them? I know the answer is yes, but was hoping someone, somewhere may have discovered a miracle solution so I don't have to kick the kids out of the pool for two days during this oppressive, sultry New England weather!

Thanks.

Definitely didn't intend to brag in the other thread. Polyquat has worked for me on occasion and thought I'd mention it. Given my inability to stay on top of FC, I believe my water would be pretty hazy right now without it.

Thanks for your offering your continued support.

Well, technically we say it is safe to swim when the FC is BELOW shock level. And while in the SLAM process you should be ABOVE shock level.

Given you just see a little algae with clear water and have FC in the pool, the pool is not un-safe. So you could modify the process slightly and keep the FC below shock level when the kids want to swim and raise it up higher at night or when they are not swimming. The process may take a little longer this way, but at least the family stays happy.

Thank you CU and Jason. I should have shocked last night -- we had wicked thunderstorms this morning and it was generally not a great day. Will brush and shock as soon as the sun goes off the pool this evening and hope FC drops below shock level to allow for a swim tomorrow afternoon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sounds like metal stains more than alge. take a vitamin c tablet and rub in on the green stains. if the stains desolve then its not alge. the vitamin c will remove the metal staining and it shouldn't come back

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.