What is the benefit of automatic pool cleaner vs manual vac

Jun 14, 2013
Hi all,
This is my first summer of being a pool owner, so I'm still learning as I go.

I found a Baracuda Alpha2 automatic cleaner left behind from previous owner. I'm curious as to how it's meant to be used. I know how to use it but am wondering, do I leave it hooked up all the time? I'm trying to figure out what's better. I have a manual vacuum head that I use a few times a week. I like using the manual because my pool usually has sand/dirt build up in the same few spots, so it's quick for me to go and vacuum those spots. I've watched the baracuda slowly and randomly go around pool floor. Am I correct that it'd take all day for it to clean the pool? So if I'm to leave it going all day, does that negativly affect the fact that no surface water is being skimmed? (Vacuum only works if I close main drain and 2nd skimmer line).

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: What is the benefit of automatic pool cleaner vs manual

You basically have it figured out. In order to get the pool as clean as you can with a manual vacuum, the auto unit would have to run a lot longer. It does affect the surface skimming when it's running, but since it's cleaning stuff up as it falls to the bottom it's not too bad of a tradeoff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.