Tandy 400,000 BTU Pool/Spa heater

rags51

Jul 11, 2013
My heater seems to start just fine. Blower comes on for a short time on low speed. Then I can hear ignition and heat comes out of stack. After a short time, the blower kicks into high gear and everything seems fine. Then a hear something actuate, and water seems to be flowing out of the heater....this is where it gets strange. It sounds like gravel being pushed through the line, and then the flow stops. The heater seems to stop firing, and after a minute or so the fan slows down, and the process starts all over again. After usually three times I get a service error and it says "Air Flo Sw". Any suggestions?

ps0303 said:
Sounds like the internal bypass is broken.
Thank you for your response. I have removed the top of the unit, and cleaned everything that I can see and get to. I saw a bypass valve online...is that something I should be able to change? The intake and outlet of the blower are clear, and the blower seems to work just fine. The unit is about 5 years old, and has worked flawlessly until now.

ps0303 said:
I believe any homeowner with good mechanical knowledge can check it out to see if it's in good shape or not.
I ordered the bypass valve, and you were correct. The cone shaped end of the valve that I removed was destroyed. The problme is, it also broke the header inside (where the valve seats), so now I had to order a new header. That one hurts!!! The saga continures, but I am feeling more confident, thanks to your help.

ps0303 said:
Can you post some pictures of the part(s)?

Here is a picture of the broken valve, and the piece that broke off inside the header. The piece that was broken off of the header was making all of the noise, as it is large enough so that it wouldn't fit through the outlet. I have no idea where the small pieces from the cone end of the valve went.

Attachments

• SmallByPass.jpg
    SmallByPass.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 24
ps0303 said:
Cheap plastic. Parts of the other end are probably stuck in the piping somewhere or are in the pump basket.

I agree, regarding the cheap plastic. The new parts are of the same plastic. The heater is only a little over 5 years old. I checked the pump basket, but found nothing. Like you said, they are probably in the plumbing somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.