Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner not that new to pools.

1. Back To Top    #1

New owner not that new to pools.

Hello,

I recently purchased a home and am the proud owner of an in ground pool (Specs below, more details to come). The pool was built in the early 70's and a liner added in 97ish. Although I've never owned a pool myself I've been charged on many occasions to maintain my in-laws above ground, sand filtered pool and helped a very close friend maintain his parents in ground plaster, DE pool since our late teens. I love to research anything before I go tinkering with it (although that doesn't mean I still haven't made plenty of mistakes) and came across this forum many times in my searches. What a great source of info and figured it be even better interactively.

Pool seems to be in decent shape for its age, the owner was an elderly fellow who lost his wife in the last year so the pool was closed for an entire season. Its a nice swampy green right now with a wonderful pungent tang. And of course in my rush to clean it up I used some of algaecide left by the previous owner not thinking and then realizing it was copper based, luckily it wasn't even enough for a full dose. Oh well I better go check my Ph before the copper gets to it. Seeya around the forum.
    26K Gallon, IG vinyl
    1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, DE Filter 36 SqFt
    Older than time TELEDYNE LAARS HEATER (removed from system for now)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New owner not that new to pools.

Welcome to TFP. Visit pool school and SLAM that rascal if need be!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Where are you located? It can effect what recommendations we make. You can add it to your profile.

In my area, water is cheap and clean while in other areas they need to truck in water that is challenging and expensive.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome

Sounds like you're ready for the challenge. We always love to see pictures!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Where are you located? It can effect what recommendations we make. You can add it to your profile.

In my area, water is cheap and clean while in other areas they need to truck in water that is challenging and expensive.

Thanks I'll be sure to add my location.
    26K Gallon, IG vinyl
    1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, DE Filter 36 SqFt
    Older than time TELEDYNE LAARS HEATER (removed from system for now)