Suction Air Leak from Heater

flintstone

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Rockville, CA
Discovered a typical "suction-side" air leak that appears to be coming from the heater. It doesn't appear to be coming from the inlet or outlet unions, and water does not appear to be leaking from the unit as the filter runs. Haven't tried to run the unit since I discovered the leak, as I don't want to cause further damage. I have basic mechanical aptitude, but electrical and gas repair skills are not in my bag of tricks (though I did successfully replace the main circuit board). My wife doesn't want me to attempt a repair, but I would like to know what I can do to try to diagnose the problem or who I might contact...a plumber or electrician...I would like to check it myself out before I call someone.

Is there a safe way to remove the heater cowling and run the filter to get a view of the uniit's operation? Are there any typical areas to observe that might be the cause of the problem? Do I get out the socket set or call...somebody?

I am somewhat confused on this as to me a suction side air leak would come before the filter pump and not after it. Anything after the pump will be pressure and will squirt/drip water out instead of pulling air in. Your heater should be on the pressure side unless it was hooked up different than I am accustomed to seeing.

If it is dripping water out, you need to determine where it is coming from. If it is a pipe union it may/should be able to be tightened. If it is something else such as a hole in a pipe or the heat exchanger then more specialized work will need to be done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.