Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I am not putting enough chemicals in my 12x36 pop up pool. I am new to handling chemicals in the pool also.

My pool water is kind of clear and cloudy, I just did a test strip on it and my readings are as follows:
    FC-0/0 (I get ALOT of sun light on the pool, it's in direct sun light)

What do I need to do to get the right levels and what are the correct levels for my pool?
    12,000 gal, AG, Sand Filter (Hayward S220T), 1 HP single speed
    Wilmington, NC

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: newbie

Welcome to TFP.

You should start by reading the Temporary Pool Guide and the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. That will give you an understanding of how to set up and properly manage your pool.

Once you've done that come back with any questions you have and we'll work on them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

We would love to help, but you'll find that most of us (me included) are hesitant to give advice without accurate, reliable test results, so you're going to get a bunch of replies that say "buy a good test kit."

Spend some time in pool school then ask away.

Welcome to the forum!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW MO

And when it is said reliable test we DON'T mean the pool store, they aren't reliable either. That's why we say get a good test kit, your testing will be more reliable then most pool stores, and much more convenient.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

Just a bit to add to the previous comments, we find that test strip results are nearly useless for pool management. The only test on them that seems to be half way consistent is the pH test, other important test like CYA and FC have way too much room for error. Having said that your pH is too low, most pH tests only read down to 6.8, and anything below 6.8 reads as 6.8, so yours may be lower still. This should be the first thing you address, after that the problem is likely not enough chlorine, but without good test results, particularly for CYA and FC, and some idea on the history of chemical additions to the pool there is little sound advice we can give you.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~