Raising the alkalinity in pool?

Jun 1, 2008
How long does it take for your alkalinity to register after adding to the pool. I added 20 lbs. to my pool today because my TA was less than 20 ppm and was wondering how long it will take to register on my test strips.

It should definitely register by 24 hours. Total alkalinity is increased generally with sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda (sold by pool stores as alkalinity up). It is usually fine granules that dissolve almost instantly when you put them in the water.

I wouldn't trust the test strips too much. A drop based kit is much better for testing alkalinity. The strips only give you a rough idea, but if you put a lot in you should see the change within 24 hours. The pump will quickly mix it into the water, and it is highly soluble.

I added Arm&Hammer Baking Soda to raise my alkalinity the other day at 8 a.m. and by 4 p.m. when I got home from work, I could read the difference. it went from 70 to 100.

TA was less than 20 ppm and was wondering how long it will take to register on my test strips.
The problem may be in the strips themselves (it usually is) TA of 20 is incredibly low. What is your pH?

I suspect you have bad test strips.....one of the most common problems on this forum.

That's a great point Dave, I used to use strips and they told me all was well, when it wasn't. My TA was low, so I increased it, and ended up with high TA and I couldn't tell the PH was off because the color chart is really indistinguishable on the strips. They also told me my CYA was in 30-50 when in reality it was over 100. I don't use strips any more. The quick OTO test is just as fast as using strips anyway....

this morning I checked it and it is still very low but also my ph is low. Which should be raised first, the ph or the TA. The FC is good and the water is pretty clear. The pool place said that my Stabilizer was high also. Do I need to add more TA or what? Help is greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.