Intex 1600 High Pressure

leewin

Jun 6, 2012
Hi. I have an Intex 12' x 24' AGP. With the 1600 Sand Filter and SWG. All is running beautifully. However the pressure that it is running at is constantly high. I've backwashed loads of times but to no avail. Still the pressure is constantly in the yellow, approx 16 psi. Any ideas?

If "all is running beautifully", you are probably ok. First question is, are you sure the gauge works. What you need to know is the clean pressure. This means that after backwashing your sand, and turning it back to filter mode, what does the pressure gauge read? Then, when it gets 20 to 25% above that reading it's time to backwash again. For example, if your pressure reading is 16 psi, when it hits 20, backwash. That being said, 16 seems high for that filter. When you turn off the pump does the gauge go to zero?

GC

Is you gauge functioning properly? I don't know if you have a multiport head with that filtering system, but if you do does it zero-out when shut off / when you change the settings does your pressure change? It should definitely zero out when powered off and I would think pressure change is noticeable when you go from "filter" to "recirculate".

Is your basket in your pump full of debris? The lady in our office had that problem, her water wasn't clearing, she had an older sand filter so she checked the sand bed and it was fine, but after several days she looked at everything again and found her basket where the water comes into the pump was filled, actually jammed with debris. Once she cleared that, her water cleared and everything ran and cleared as it should have.

If it wouldn't be the gauge or an easily detected visible blockage, possibly one of your hoses could be blocked.

I would check the gauge first ~ they are a lot of times broken before they have been used and break easily especially is they have been on any length of time and weathered.

Did you mean it drops BY 11 or 12; or it drops TO 11 or 12. Either way, i think your gauge is the problem. Not a big issue. Get a new one when you get around to it. For now watch for it rising a few psi, and then backwash. Keep an eye on the flow. If you feel it has slowed, backwash.

GC

I´ve just been out to check. Geez it´s warm out there! With the filter turned off the guage reads as a gnats tadger above 12psi. Turned on it´s approximately 16.5psi. I´m guessing that you are correct and guage is knackered. Are new guages universal or does it have to be an intex one?

The gauge should be standard, the OEM intex comes with some color markings but they aren't critical. When I was using mine it would run in the green when clean and just as it hit yellow there would be a large drop in flow. That is when I'd backwash. SIL now has that pump and filter as I upgraded.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I were you I would get a gauge that reads from 0 to 30 psi. instead of the 60 on the intex gauge. Much easier to more accurately read the pressure. Again, be sure to get a clean reading for a reference point (meaning what is the pressure after a good backwash). After a 25% increase in pressure, backwash.

I think your problem may be the same as mine, but in the opposite direction.

I have read several time about how those Intex pressure gauges suck. That reminds me to replace mine. My pressure seems way too low and I know that pre- and post-backwash measurements are barely different, if at all. And it should be higher because flow is down and the backwash water is filthy. Gauge is probably sticking.

Yeah the OEM gauge is definitely to high, I had very little needle movement between clean and dirty, mostly used loss of flow as the indicator to backwash. It usually happened pretty fast, as in one day good flow and the next a large drop. But then I live on a dirt road and filtering out the road dust was like adding to much DE.

I don't steal the ideas, I borrow and give credit. :) This place is awesome!

I actually came here today looking for info on the Intex sand filter pressure gauge. Not long after getting the pump I noticed some moisture in the gauge. We've had a lot of heavy rain and super high humidity lately and now the gauge is actually filling with water and it's so foggy I can't even read it! I was going to call Intex to try to get a replacement under warranty, but it sounds like I may be better off just getting a different one. I just figured it was another non-standard item like everything else Intex so I wasn't sure if it would work.

I have the same problem, my Intex gauge is now half full of water after a week of heavy rain. Looks like it is starting to rust on the inside as well. I'll be replacing mine soon. It has always read just at the border of the yellow anyway even when first installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.