How long will this take??

Hey there FTP !!

We are forging ahead with our crazy project! We bought the pool a couple weeks ago before we went on holidays. Now we are back and trying to decide if we have time to get this all done before its too late to swim in this summer. We live in southeast British Columbia. Our weather is pretty volotile... Sometimes snow in may, sometimes temps balmy. Same with October... So season could be over as early as sept 15th.

My questions for you pool veterans, especially those who have frame or ultra frame pools is this...

How long did it take you to :

Level the ground

Assemble the pool

Fill the pool (ours is 13x24 foot rectangle 52" deep)

Then if you built a deck how long did that take?

We are having ground dug out about 2.5 feet and over dig about the same so we can assemble pool in the hole with sloped edges of hole either self supporting or we will do some retaining wall work. Hoping to avoid this step if feesible. Friend with excavator doesn't think That we will need retaining wall will the type of ground we have.

That is all for now!!

Thanks for your advice

Some things that come to mind to help the build pros answer your questions better.
Also, pictures are GREAT! :mrgreen:

What kind of pool do you have, ie. Intex type, or steel/resin semi-permanent professional type? What sort of dirt do you have, population and size of rocks, will blasting or jack hammering possibly be necessary?
What sort of underlayment are you going to be using; sand, crusher rock, poolcrete, pink closed cell extruded polystyrene foam... etc?

How large of a deck are you planning, multi level, simple, other customizations.
What sort if grade is bot the pool and deck being built on; flat ground, sloped, hill, do they differ? Any obstacles like trees, sewer, old structures, irrigation, septic tank/field, etc? Will a French drain or sump be necessary?
Any other architectural, site, or grade constraints/complications?
What's the heavy equipment access, can a full size excavator and dump truck be used, or are you restricted to a mini track hoe and wheel barrow/atv with dump trailer?
Have you applied for necessary permits, bought the pool equipment and already have it in hand? Ie. Pump, filter, SWCG, plumbing, valves, etc..
Have you purchased a recommended TFP test kit, contacted an electrician if necessary, etc...?

Also, please fill in your signature and location info in your profile as instructed in the 1st link in pool school. This way we can better assist you based on your climate and equipment.
See my Sig for link, other good links there too. :)

Well, the time it takes for ground leveling and deck building can vary greatly depending on many factors. Once the ground is set, figure 1/2 for light prep and pool assembly (can still vary based on your site and possible flooring). Filling with water (start immediately could take 1/2 day to 1 full day. Then figure a day to get the water right. If you're doing saltwater, add 1 day for the salt.
If I were you, I would wait on the deck. If you're all set up you can take your time planning and building the deck during some off season.

No matter what kind of work you are doing it ALWAYS takes longer than you want it to!

Make a step by step list of things you want to do. Start at the top and work your way down. See how many friends you have by asking them to come help you dig! LOL

Oh and the cost? It is always more than you thought it would be as well. That is until you get it up and running the TFP way. Then it is a LOT less than people who use the pool store!

Kim

If I was in your situation I would level the ground first and see where you are after that. If you don't end up erecting the pool this year at least your area will already be level next year.

Leveling could take you anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks depending on how fast you work at it and how much you need to dig down.

Oh wow! Thanks for all the fast replies. You guys are the best!! I will edit my signature once I can log on using my pc. To answer some of the questions...

The yard is flat, no slopes. We do not expect any jack hammering to be required. The type of earth is smaller type rocks with dirt. We hand dug about 6 inches to level a 12 ft frame pool a few years ago and had no problem. We are using a mini excavator and using the material from the whole for another project on other side of the house. No dump truck needed.

The pool is a 13 x 24' by 52" rectangle ultra frame pool by polygroup.

We have already got the cover, reel stand, and are going to be using the skimmer and cartridge pump that comes with pool for now. Planning to upgrade next year to sand filter and pump system.

As for the deck, it is one level, with a funny shape that goes around the existing hottub and is probably about 200 sq ft in total. We do have to also plum natural gas from the meter under our deck over to where pool heater will be. We are not installing heater till next year ... Long story

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.