Semi-Solids

Aug 20, 2012
I have a low cost above ground Intex vinyl pool and a filter with micron cartridge and it is not effective in filtering the semi-solids that accumulate on the bottom unless the bottom area is constantly stirred up. This semi-solid material is an assortment of body oils, lotions, dirt, algae etc.
So I wonder if there is an adapter available to allow me to hook up a length of hose to the pool filter intake screen and then attach a suction tool at the opposite end.
I am not sure if this idea will work because both the pump and suction tool will be at the same level but the pool intake screen is higher. If I can get this to work, I think the micron cartridge will trap these semi-solids.
I would like to know how others have solved the problem of sucking up semi-solids that lay on the bottom of above ground pools.

Unless you have upgraded the pump and filter it is usually best to get something like an aqua broom or a pool blaster to vacuum the pool. They are small, self contained pool/spa vacuums and work well in small pools. You can use the google search bar at the top right corner of this page and search for Intex vacuum to pull up threads that address this issue.

rjordan390 said:
So I wonder if there is an adapter available to allow me to hook up a length of hose to the pool filter intake screen and then attach a suction tool at the opposite end.
It sounds like you basically want the pump suction and return to be at opposite ends, so all the 'semi-solids' will be pulled into the suction when the water moves across the pool. Sadly, it won't really help. The pump just isn't strong enough.

I use the Intex skimmer adapter and a pool vacuum hose to clean the bottom of my pool. It even worked with the smaller pump on my 12' Intex. The only problem was that filter clogged up real fast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surface-Intex-S ... 1e7b800a56

Thanks Mike,
I might order the skimmer adapter. But first, I took a look at it and it appears it will not cover the intake strainer completely. My intake strainer looks like this picture.[attachment=0:1w94ya21]DSCF0003.JPG[/attachment:1w94ya21]

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 51
My Nephew inlaw actually owns the pool but I help out in the maintenance costs and he did mentioned he would like to get a sand filter which sounds like a good idea. I am looking at the Intex model 56685EG 1200 gph. The pool is 2400 gallons and 14 feet diameter. The sand filter has excellent reviews. Is there something I should know about before we purchase it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.