question on aerating the pool to raise pH

Jun 7, 2008
ok, so let's say i need to aerate to increase the pH while leaving the TA alone (because my TA is really hight rihgt now i want to increase pH while leaving TA alone)

will a simple garden hose aimed up at a 45 degree angle over the center of my pool do the trick? (i plan on tying it it to a long dead branch and extending the whole contraption over the center of my pool)

the garden hose contraption is the only thing i can think of for now....will it have any affect do you think?

thanks,

--Tom

I'm not sure how much effect it will have. You can purchase these fountain thingies that go in your pool and they do a great job aerating.

I have also lowered my TA in the past by adding acid without aeration. I just dropped the pH down to 7.0ish (not lower than 7.2 if you have vinyl... which I have... but you aren't supposed to). Then I waited for the pH to creep up, which it did without me adding anything. This may not work for everyone, you may have to aerate, fortunately my pool trends up in pH. If you keep your pH around 7.0-7.2 (depending on type of pool) for a week or so, you'll definitely lose some alkalinity to outgassing.

Garden hose attached to what?

Can you post your pool equipment? Is there a return eyeball you can point up so that it breaks the surface?

Remember when you aerate you will need to keep dropping the ph with acid. So in time both numbers should level off.

A full set of test results and posting your pool specs in your signature would really help the experts (which I am definitey not) diagnose any issues...

I suppose pointing a garden hose over the pool at 45 degrees will help since any disruption of the surface layer will aerate the water. Any changes in pH, though, will depend on the TA of the water you are adding and how long you can run the hose without overflowing the pool.

My best results have been with the following:

Add muratic acid to get pH around 7.0 to 7.2 or so (do it in steps to make sure you don't overshoot and do not lower pH to the extremes of your test kit). Point your filter return(s) up to ensure the water stream breaks the surface to aerate the water - or - install a fountain. Aeration will off-gas carbon dioxide, which in turn causes pH to rise to about 7.4 or so. Continue the TA reduction (with acid) and aeration (to raise pH) cycle until you reach your target pH and ALK.

HTH.

Tom,

Did you see duraleigh's post on your other thread? He gave excellent advice and also provided the link to the "lowering TA" sticky.

Here it is:

duraleigh said:
Hi, Tom,

Welcome to the forum....lot's of nice people here.

In a nutshell, the only way you can lower your TA is thru aeration (blowing bubbles in the pool ....lot's of 'em)

Anyway, once you start getting bubbles in the pool, your currently low pH will start to rise. When the pH get's to7.6 or so, you add muriatic acid to lower it again to 7.0 (this will lower your TA)

You simply continue the process of aeration while constantly returning your pH down to 7.0. Each step of lowering the pH will bring your TA down.

There's no other way to do it and you will need to be able to test pH and TA several times during this procedure.

More info is available here...

http://www.troublefreepools.com/sticky.php?s=5341

Brucefan1 said:
... i need to aerate to increase the pH while leaving the TA alone ... will a simple garden hose aimed up at a 45 degree angle over the center of my pool do the trick?

Put a nozzle on it and set it to a wide spray and you have a fountain! But where's the water coming from? Do you have the hose connected to your pool pump?

The Kokido K-385 is a very nice $20 waterfall fountain I just purchased at Naamco Pool Store in Nashua, NH. It attaches to a pool return. See http://store.namcopoolstore.com/web31348.html.

It's pushing the TA down quite well.

Another thing I've thought about is using a pond bottom bubble aerator, or its less costly cousin the large aquarium aerator with bubble stone(s).

These would probably be faster, but unless you already have these hanging around in your garage, both of them are too expensive compared to the $20 fountain + time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.