Sand Filter beginning to Die?

AlphaMare101

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2013
Fortson Georgia
I am mid shock process & now that my steps are sparkling clean, I noticed a very small amount of sand on 2 steps. When I say small amount, I mean less than a palm full scattered. No other sand noticed out of any of the other returns, nor any noticed in the Polaris filter. The filter seems to be working ok. Cloudy water noted in view glass when beginning backwashing & rinsing, then gets clear, like it should. I replaced the pressure gage yesterday & no significant increased pressure noted. Could this be the beginning of the laterals going bad, or some other problem? :?

I usually vacuum my pool every 2 to 3 days. It is used very lightly. There is ALWAYS something that looks like sand in the bottom of my pool just scattered here and there. I always figured it was dirt blown in and settled although Im not really sure its not sand. Ive never seen it on my steps though. I do notice when I backwash on high there is sand at the end of the 40 foot pipe. It has been like this as far as I can remember (2 or 3 years?) and I dont have any problems. Pool is crystal clear. If it worries you then if you can make it to next year, check your laterals when you close the pool.

You are probably seeing dead algae collecting in areas with depressions in the surface or poor circulation. Dead algae tends to pile up in drifts until it is vacued out of the pool. Dead algae is sometimes confused with sand in the pool.

To test if it is sand you can put a sock on a return for a few days and then check it for debris inside when you remove it. My filter leaks a little it is on my to do list to fix. I noticed it on steps and then confirmed it with the Polaris inline screen.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Since the filter seems to be working should I just not worry about it for now?
Yes. A bit of sand from time to time probably isn't worth chasing.

If you decide to anyway, the first thing to do is open the filter and inspect and clean the sand bed. It should be about 2/3 full.

Adding Alum to sand filter?

Keep your posts under one thread.....it helps everyone

I thought I read a post that stated a small amount of alum could be added to a sand filter to improve filtration, but I can't find it. Anyone ever done this? I know DE or Sparkle up can be added with no problem, but I thought alum might clog the filter.

Re: Adding Alum to sand filter?

AlphaMare101 said:
I thought I read a post that stated a small amount of alum could be added to a sand filter to improve filtration, but I can't find it. Anyone ever done this? I know DE or Sparkle up can be added with no problem, but I thought alum might clog the filter.

I dont know anything about using anything other than sand and my water is clear enough to suit me. If I take a clear drinking glass and fill it full of pool water I can see very tiny particles in it so I assume the sand is not filtering particles that small, but like I say the pool is still very clear. I can take a very bright flashlight and shine it in the pool at night and it looks like the water isnt even there. I suppose if I was going to use something it would be DE. Consider getting some knee high pantyhose and stretch it over the skimmer basket. You wouldnt believe the bugs, crud, pine needles and everything else it will catch before it hits the filter.

I do the knee high pantyhose in the skimmer as well. It's great when I use the manual vacuum at helping collect all the tiny bits of debris so my filter doesn't have to... keeps the amount of back washing down for me.

I added a bit of DE this year at the final clearing when we opened to algae this year ... first time for everything. It did make a quicker clear up, but I haven't used it since the last back wash. It tends to make me back wash sooner, and I haven't noticed that much difference in water quality.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.