Filling in our deep end

Jun 8, 2012
We have an 18 x 33 Johnny W ABG pool with a deep end. This past winter really did a number on our liner. When we removed the winter cover we were shocked to see our liner just shredded and most of the water drained. Having no choice but to replace the liner, we decided to fill in the deep end. It was nice the first season but after that there just was not enough "usable" space. We have filled most of it in with dirt and medicine ball sized smooth boulders. My question is, how many inches of sand is needed to make sure the weight of the water wont settle to the point that we might feel the rocks? Thanks :)

Generally it is not recommended to build up an area a pool sits on. You may need to compact the fill with a mechanical tamper. Then you may still want a lot of sand.

- Sent using Tapatalk

I would say if you added some compactable fill (modified 2a is one type) and then compacted every few inches you would get pretty good results. The issue is where you have the fill dirt, unless it compacted well, it could sink in an odd manner and give you a lumpy floor.

The walls, which i would way are the normal issue with sinking, should not sink as they are on the native earth.

If you decide to add a new liner, I would install an "expandable" liner (like the deep end one was) in case you get any areas that sink. The liner would have a better chance of stretching into the low spot. A fitted liner or beaded liner may not have the ability to stretch that much.

I would ask your local dealer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.