Pebble Sheen Pool Startup

pd417

Jan 24, 2012
We just had our IG pool redone with aqua blue pebble sheen, in fact they finished the acid wash and buff today. The contractor
then started to fill the pool. Well, before I got home from work, I found out that my pool guy is off on vacation for at least a week
(maybe more) so he won't be able to do the startup. Pebble-Tec has very specific instructions on how to startup a pool. They look
fairly easy to follow, but I will be gone for a week for work and can't do it.

My question is, can I leave the pool empty for 5-7 days until my pool guy returns or do I absolutely need to fill it?

I just went through a Pebble Sheen startup with a friend of mine. You must fill it immediately. The critical things are brushing to get rid of dust and pH management. After a few days you start adding chlorine and stabilizer...slowly.

Do you have test kit?
Do you know the quality/levels of your fill water?

I had a feeling I needed to fill it immediately, problem is that I don't have test kit or know the quality of my fill water, pool guys does all that.
And he's on vacation with no way to contact him. So I guess I'll fill it and try to locate another pool guy that's familiar with Pebble Sheen and can
do the startup.

Not having the time to look for a backup pool guy, I decided to do the startup myself.
Following the startup directions left me by the plaster company, I went to my local pool store and had
the fill water analyzed. Got some acid, chlorine and stabilizer,
along with some test strips. The fill water ph was 8.0, so per the water analysis, I added 24 oz of
acid, will retest in four hours. After the ph is stable, I'll add the recommended amounts of chlorine and stabilizer.
I can't add salt to the water for 30 days until the Pebble Sheen has completely cured.

Am I missing anything?

I have been told it is also critical with pebblesheen that you get the pool all the way full without stopping and keep it full so the waterline is on the tile where it should be. Apparently you can get a waterline ring if the pool level is below full and stays put in one place for too long

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.