Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Water Leveler Puzzled... Need Advise

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic Water Leveler Puzzled... Need Advise

Below are pics of my automatic pool leveler which is NOT working. The level in the fill tube varies from the pool level either higher or rarely lower. Now its higher and hasn't reduced for over an hour.
    -I have sprayed a water hose in both end and comes out the other end.
    -I have blow 100psi air through (I think this made the prob worse)
    -I dug the little bit you see in the pic and no leaks so far.

The fill line is 45deg to straight pipe traveling "away" from the pool return which is at the circled area.

My thought is that there's an air pocket (like a pee trap) somewhere in the line. So I'd need to cut and raise the line to the fill tube, but potentially all the digging I do it maybe under the concrete area. I'm hoping its before the 180deg turn to the pool return. Any advise?

BTW: the fill was never hooked up since purchasing the house until recently when I ran a line.
    [attachment=0:1orhdxax]photo 1.JPG[/attachment:1orhdxax][attachment=1:1orhdxax]photo 2.JPG[/attachment:1orhdxax]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gal diving pool
    Cartridge Filter

Phoenix, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic Water Leveler Puzzled... Need Advise

I don't have one but is that green thing a float? What happens when you pull up on it?

What happens when you fill the conduit with water from a hose, does it flow into the pool?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

If I spray a hose into either port it comes out the other end. Filling the "fill tube" with water it does NOT flow to the pool.

If there's a pee trap type effect with an air pocket... this can only prevent connecting the bodies of water IF its above the water lines, correct? If this is the case, I don't understand how this is possible since the line "seems" to run well below the water levels. I guess I have to start digging.
    25,000 gal diving pool
    Cartridge Filter

Phoenix, AZ

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought usually the Autofill is as close to the pool as possible with short straight pipe. Odd that your equilizer pipe starts off the wrong direction and has so many turns ... although I am not sure why it would not work.

I do recall reading about installing the auto-fills that the pipe was supposed to be sloped in a certain way to make sure it worked correctly, but again I am not sure why it should matter if the pipe stays below water level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have an electrician's fish tape you can run thru the pipe to see if comes out? You may simply have an obstruction or break in the pipe.. If you find one, you will have an idea where to dig as you know how many feet from your stating point it is.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100