New TF-100 Kit, Need help with readings.

MNPoolboy

In The Industry
Jun 19, 2013
Minnesota
Fairly new to TFP, and have been trying to follow the help you all have given me! Here are my latest readings, as well as my tap water readings.
Pool:
FC=6
CC=.5
TA=150
CH=410
PH=7.4
Borates=50
CYA=Less than 20

Tap Water:
TA=250
PH=7.5
CH=80

on 6/23 my pool store told me my cya was about 35. I added 2lbs of granular Pro Team Stabilizer in sock, through the skimmers. Found TFP later that week after the spending $250 on borates last summer, and the pool store telling me I was at 0. Now have my new test kit, as well as my borate strips (which told me I was at about 50). My first readings with my new kit were on 7/3. My first CYA reading was about 30-35 when the black dot disappeared. I also originally had my CC at 1, (did the TFP shock system) dropped my CC to .5. I also bought more stabilizer (with help from you, bought 96% CYA at Walmart), added 4lbs., in socks through the skimmers and finished them off dissolving hanging them by the return, (totally dissolved on 7/5). Today's readings are above. My questions are (unless someone sees something else out of whack), are can my CYA drop that much, even after adding 4lbs.? We have had a little rain, but I also have an autocover, so I don't think much gets in, and have maybe added 2in. of water. I am hoping to get my CYA up to about 70. Is 5 days not enough time for me to test accurately? (I did do the test 3 times to make sure I was accurate). Also, since I had to replace my SWG cell this year (after 18mo. and scaled up), I am concerned that I am very high on my CH and TA. (a little nervous about more scaling). Sorry to be long winded, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ACT like your CYA level is what you built it up to. It make take a few more days for it to read on the CYA test. Watch your minimum FC levels per the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. Good job.

Great! I posted my tap water results also (was curious about them too, and with a new test kit....) Anyway, do I need to worry about my TA & CH being high? Im a little nervous about scaling with my swg. Or any reason to partial drain/refill? I did notice my TA starting to very slowly drop with me trying to keep my PH closer to 7.2 after shocking.

Your SWG will knock down the Ph which will in turn help reduce your TA. But no biggie there. You sure don't need any more calcium though, which makes it all that more important to keep you Ph and TA in range to ward off scaling.

Thanks Woody. Think the calcium is high enough to partial drain/refill, or am I being too picky?

...Your right pwrstrk..I didn't say it, but another posted that my cya could have been "backwashed out" a little since I put the cya through the skimmer. Is this not correct since I have a cartridge filter, I thought backwashing was for sand filters? This stuff is new to me, so I am not sure on some of the names.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.