Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New TF-100 Kit, Need help with readings.

1. Back To Top    #1

New TF-100 Kit, Need help with readings.

Fairly new to TFP, and have been trying to follow the help you all have given me! Here are my latest readings, as well as my tap water readings.
    Pool:
    FC=6
    CC=.5
    TA=150
    CH=410
    PH=7.4
    Borates=50
    CYA=Less than 20

Tap Water:
    TA=250
    PH=7.5
    CH=80

on 6/23 my pool store told me my cya was about 35. I added 2lbs of granular Pro Team Stabilizer in sock, through the skimmers. Found TFP later that week after the spending $250 on borates last summer, and the pool store telling me I was at 0. Now have my new test kit, as well as my borate strips (which told me I was at about 50). My first readings with my new kit were on 7/3. My first CYA reading was about 30-35 when the black dot disappeared. I also originally had my CC at 1, (did the TFP shock system) dropped my CC to .5. I also bought more stabilizer (with help from you, bought 96% CYA at Walmart), added 4lbs., in socks through the skimmers and finished them off dissolving hanging them by the return, (totally dissolved on 7/5). Today's readings are above. My questions are (unless someone sees something else out of whack), are can my CYA drop that much, even after adding 4lbs.? We have had a little rain, but I also have an autocover, so I don't think much gets in, and have maybe added 2in. of water. I am hoping to get my CYA up to about 70. Is 5 days not enough time for me to test accurately? (I did do the test 3 times to make sure I was accurate). Also, since I had to replace my SWG cell this year (after 18mo. and scaled up), I am concerned that I am very high on my CH and TA. (a little nervous about more scaling). Sorry to be long winded, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    36,000gallon, 20x40, In-ground, vinyl, auto cover, cartridge filter, 1.5hp Jandy Variable Speed, SWG, Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New TF-100 Kit, Need help with readings.

ACT like your CYA level is what you built it up to. It make take a few more days for it to read on the CYA test. Watch your minimum FC levels per the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. Good job.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great! I posted my tap water results also (was curious about them too, and with a new test kit....) Anyway, do I need to worry about my TA & CH being high? Im a little nervous about scaling with my swg. Or any reason to partial drain/refill? I did notice my TA starting to very slowly drop with me trying to keep my PH closer to 7.2 after shocking.
    36,000gallon, 20x40, In-ground, vinyl, auto cover, cartridge filter, 1.5hp Jandy Variable Speed, SWG, Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Levels Look good. CYA could have been back washed out a little since you originally dissolved it in the skimmer. It is good that you switched it to the return.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

5. Back To Top    #5

Im not following? "backwashed out"? Meaning it's caught in my cartridge filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not either. You didn't say you backwashed.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Your SWG will knock down the Ph which will in turn help reduce your TA. But no biggie there. You sure don't need any more calcium though, which makes it all that more important to keep you Ph and TA in range to ward off scaling.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Woody. Think the calcium is high enough to partial drain/refill, or am I being too picky?

...Your right pwrstrk..I didn't say it, but another posted that my cya could have been "backwashed out" a little since I put the cya through the skimmer. Is this not correct since I have a cartridge filter, I thought backwashing was for sand filters? This stuff is new to me, so I am not sure on some of the names.

9. Back To Top    #9

You are correct, backwashing is for sand or DE filters.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, Smykowski. Would you recommend a partial drain/refill to lower the calcium level?