Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Big dips in sand around base of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Big dips in sand around base of pool

We just put our 30" above ground round pool in. It has been up less than 2 months. We did not purchase coving because our pool installer (who has caused us many headaches) recommended building up the sand around the edges. We are now noticing many areas where the sand coving has washed away and left dips anywhere from 2 to 4 inches deep in areas anywhere from 6" to several feet long around the side of the pool. What should we be doing? I assume this is going to be a problem. :hammer
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Big dips in sand around base of pool

What does the installer have to say, now? It sounds like his installation needs some attention(sooner rather than later). The cove is important as it prevents the liner from contacting the base of the pool and possibly slipping under in a wash-out, as well as distributing the water weight.
    6.7K Pro Series 18x48, VL40T32 pump/filter, Hayward skimmer, TF100, and BBB!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes this needs attention. I would contact the installer and tell him what's going on. He needs to make this right. I would also purchase some foam coveing and tell him you want this installed.

Keep us posted.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it washing out under the liner you need to drain it and have it fixed. The sooner the better. The installer should stand up and fix it. I might consider the foam cove, especially since you've already had a problem.
    They may want you to buy the cove, but I think it'd be worth it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I will call them tomorrow. These same installers also installed the pool and dished it out to only 5 feet in the middle when we had a signed contract and paid for 6 feet. It took going to the BBB to get that straightened out ( some money refunded). I am really getting fed up.
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover