Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where did my CYA go?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where did my CYA go?

Can CYA reagent go bad? I have been running 50 all season and last tested about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Today I tested CYA and the dot never disappeared. I had a mishap today that turned out OK and I was lucky. I needed to add a couple of inches of water so I turned on the hose an hour before I needed to leave for work. I forgot to turn it off and went to work. I came home at lunch, which I never do, and found the water within an inch of overflowing. All day would have made a big mess! Anyway, I dumped a bunch of water by running the filter to waste, reducing about 5 inches of water to the proper level. I know that couldn't wipe out my CYA. The only explanation I have is that the reagent went bad. Any other ideas?
    24,000 Gal In Ground pool
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where did my CYA go?

Well, sorry to say that the CYA reagent is about the least likely to actually go bad, so something else is going on.

Have you had a lot of rain in the last month? Pumped off a lot of water? Are you sure the water was not going out an overflow today and overfilling?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know last month we had anywhere from 9-12 inches of rain. I had to add alittle CYA.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

We've had more rain this spring than usual, but we're usually in a drought, so it seems like a lot. About a month ago I drained about 2 inches of water, but that's about it. I don't think I have an overflow. When I tested FC right after draining today, it was 6.5, which wasn't much off of what I would have expected. Seems so odd.
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought new CYA reagent today and the result is still the same. Can still see the dot, but a little cloudy. A sock of stabilizer is hanging in the pool now.
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Good job. Wait about a week and retest.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I added CYA and raised it to 35. That was one month ago. I tested a couple of times on different days and it was 35. Today it is back down to 20. I'm sure I am doing the test right. We get little rain and I add water about once a week, so I'm not draining. I haven't even had to backwash much, maybe twice in the last month. Pool is clean, clear and sparkly.
    FC 6.0
    pH 7.6
    Alk 70
    Any ideas on what could be going on?
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

How much water do you add weekly? It might be worth trying a bucket test to rule out the possibility of a leak.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have an autofill?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't have an auto-fill. I add about an inch of water a week when we don't have any rain. I thought that seemed like a reasonable amount to lose through evaporation. What is the bucket test?
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

It does seem reasonable, but it won't hurt to rule out a leak. You take a 5 gallon bucket (with straight sides), fill it with water and put it on a step in your pool. Use a sharpie to mark the water levels on the bucket, one for the level inside, one for the level outside. Let it sit for a while and compare the water levels. If the level in the pool goes down faster than in the bucket that will indicate a leak. If they lose their water evenly then you can rule out a leak.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits