Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Selling home,fiberglass pool. Is closing in summer different

1. Back To Top    #1

Selling home,fiberglass pool. Is closing in summer different

I think that it would be beyond the folks looking after my property to keep the pool algae free. I am debating between pumping out the pool as close to empty as possible or just lowering to usual closing level. Will a covered pool be o.k. with summer heat? Is the lack of light with a cover on sufficient to prevent algae problems. What would you recommend?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Selling home,fiberglass pool. Is closing in summer diffe

I'd think the water temp alone would be enough to promote algae growth regardless whatever else you might be able to do with it full. Pumping it mostly down is never a good idea either.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

You would def have to keep an eye on it, as in FC level until water temp dropped below 60.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

5600 gallon pool. Add a bottle of bleach per week?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyChallenged
    5600 gallon pool. Add a bottle of bleach per week?
    Depends what you CYA is as that protects the FC from the sun and buffers the FC.

A 121oz bottle of 8.25% bleach will add about 14ppm of FC. That should last a week with a cover on assuming the water is currently clean. Still would be good to know what the CYA level is.

Would be better to be testing and adjusting the FC at least every 3-4 days with the cover on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

A good test kit would be a huge help with your levels and where to keep them. TF 50 or TF100.

Just dumping a bottle of bleach in is not what I would reccommend. You need to know what your CYA level is so you can maintain a proper FC level.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA 60. I have the test kit but the house will be empty and I will be in another state. I have someone to mow grass but he can't keep up with testing and treating water. I need a foolproof, overkill solution.

8. Back To Top    #8

With it covered it should have a pretty consistent FC lose. Maybe you could figure that out and just have somebody add some bleach 3-4 times a week or how ever it works out.

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you going to continue running the pump for part of the day?
    A pool can not stay clear and totally be ignored. At a minimum you need to be adding chlorine and making sure the skimmer is clear and the pump is running.

You really have 3 options:
    1. Let it go swamp
    2. Keep it open, covered, and have someone (the mower?) add bleach and empty the skimmer and hope for the best.
    3. Hire a pool service to maintain the pool until it sells.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!