Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't figure out how to turn on my spa?

Can't figure out how to turn on my spa?

Spa is attached in ground I can't find anyway to turn the pump on for the jets?? The circuit breakers are both on, and wires lead from there to this black box mounted on the wall (see the attached picture)then to the spa pump? I cannot find a switch anywhere...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

Re: Can't figure out how to turn on my spa?

That looks like a switch. Are you sure there's not a button on the spa ledge somewhere?
    can you read the label at all?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Mod Squad

To Expand on Bama's post:

In the image the red circle is the switch that is driven by air. The air tube probably goes to a button flush mounted on the spa. Sometimes the tube will get pushed out of the bottom of the air switch making it non functional. Take a look around the spa ... then around the pool are for something that looks like this:
    http://www.smarthome.com/42685/Intermat ... pas/p.aspx
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

Ok thanks I will look inside and around the pool and spa again
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

Okay I looked again and found this in the spa deck... I'm thinking this is most likely where my button should be located and it may. Have stopped working so the previous owners just put a plug in it? If I am correct how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Jb
    My pool:

Mod Squad

I'm on tapatalk(out to dinner) ... Can't see the image. Can you send a link?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

That doesn't look like the buttons that I've seen. But it may be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker
    I'm on tapatalk(out to dinner) ... Can't see the image. Can you send a link?
    Sorry Karma I tried but wasn't able to figure it out... I'm using my iPad?
    My pool:

Mod Squad

Got to a real computer. That is indeed the switch. You should be able to pry it out of its hole with a chisel, big screwdriver etc.

Once it's out there should be something that looks like an aquarium tube attached to the back. You can just replace the "switch" with one that fits in the same hole.

There are two alternate possibilities. Replace the air switch electronics with a physical switch. Alternate 2 - cut the air line and install a new air switch right at the pump area. I would only go with the alternates if replacing the plunger at the spa doesn't do the trick.

Thank you so much Karma that really helps. Unfortunately my laptop crashed that's why I'm forced to use the iPad ....
    My pool:

Update!

Ok so I replaced the air switch... Didn't work, so I cut the tube just below the box and put the new air switch on there...still nothing, so I just wired a regular old switch on it and, sure enough, came right on and I got jets but now I got another problem... I let the jets run for a few minutes and they work great but when I went to shut them off there was water everywhere... I have a leak between the motor and pump housing could this just be a seal or do I have bigger problems?
    My pool:

If the leak is between the motor and pump housing it's most likely the shaft seal. I doubt it's more than that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Mod Squad

Can't figure out how to turn on my spa?

Probably just a seal. ... Agree 100% with bama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Probably just a seal. ... Agree 100% with bama

Is this something I can fix myself. Or should I have a professional do it?
    My pool:

Mod Squad

Easy cheesy .., DIY.

More later. Look for a YouTube about your pump

Mod Squad

OK ... not seeign any pump / motor info. If you can post that up we can recommend the correct seal.

OK ... not seeign any pump / motor info. If you can post that up we can recommend the correct seal.
    Ok I will have to get it in the morning when I get home. On a 24hr shift at work.
    My pool:

Ok here's some pics of the pump

WhisperFlo

Model No. WFE-6

HP 1.5
    My pool:

Mod Squad

Pool supply world has a go kit with all of the seals. The culprit is most likely the shaft seal ... For $15 it's probably worth it to have them all on hand.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/PoolSupp ... CK1027.htm

Double check with the chat rep at poolsubblyworld.com but I think that will do the trick.

Chris

Thanks again!
    My pool: