Daily chlorine test question

hen

Jun 27, 2013
Tuscaloosa. AL
I know you are supposed to test chlorine and pH daily, but are you supposed to use the little blue basic (OT) test (from the TF-100) that you use to test pH? Or are you supposed to use the chlorine drop test (FAS/DPD)?

If you are daily supposed to use the FAS/DPD, should you check the CC daily too?

My target FC is 7, so I cant really tell with the OT test exactly what it is. But I dont know if 5 is good enough every day with that test, and FAS/DPD it and bump it up only once per week, or if I should check and keep it up every day (which would mean the FAS/DPD everyday).

Thanks, I want to do this right!

The OTO test is a good way to tell whether you have chlorine in the pool or not. It does not differentiate between FC and CC though. Only the FAS-DPD can do that. Best to use the FAS-DPD for daily testing, especially during times of heavy use.

Also the more you learn your pools personality the better off you will become. You might notice that your ph is stable. I only test for ph maybe once a week unless I run the fountain. Then I know I can run the fountain 8hr/2 days and I will need to check it. You will also learn your chlorine usage. You might learn to test every other day with FAS/DPD and double check with the OTO. It really does get easy and you will start to see a trend.

Thanks, I just kind of panicked because it had been holding pretty good, so I just did the OTO test one day and it was a 5, and the next day I did the more advanced one, and my FC had dramatically dropped to 1.5. I guess sunshine (we have had a lot of clouds/rain) and kids playing in the pool (thunder=no swimming) made it drop so. After all the work cleaning it up, I just want to stay on top of it. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.