Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to the site

1. Back To Top    #1

New to the site

I know I shouldn't say this, but everything is great with my pool for the first time in 2 years. (Kiss of Death, right?) A little history, bought an AGP 5 years ago. Was talked into Baquicil. 2 years ago, contracted a case of the dreaded white mold. Pumped hundreds of dollars into fighting it for 2 years. Pulled back the cover this year, mold completely covered everything! We drained all the water!. Shrunk the liner. Dealer wouldn't even talk to us. In the process of looking for new liner, I discovered this site. Reading the advice you gave others, we were able to put in new liner. Bought TF-100 test kit, and for the first time ever, I feel like I have a handle on what is going on with our pool. Switched to chlorine and have been taking readings and adding BBB when needed. It's nice to take the Ipad to the pool deck and get readings on the spot. Water is clearer than ever! My son just had a pool party and all said the water was great, no red eyes, etc. Wanted to thank everyone involved with this forum and we will continue to visit daily.

Our pool is a 16 X 32 Doughboy with a 6ft deep end. Poolcalculator estimated us at 17100 gallons.
    Readings as of 710/13
    FC - 3
    CC- 0
    CYA-30 (if I'm reading it right, dot was barely visible at 40)
    PH- 7.6

Please tell me if these readings indicate anything wrong to anyone, because to my eyes and nose, the water is perfect. Thanks again.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: New to the site

Thanks for the nice testimonial. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Welcome to TFP.

We're always glad to hear good stories. Sorry oyu had to go through the baqaugly but you're past that now.

The only thing I'd change is that I would raise the FC to about 4 or 5 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Congrats on taking control ... and even doing it without having to ask us for help

Readings look good to me.
    Only comment is to make sure the FC does not drop too low ... if you think the CYA might be between 30-40ppm, you may want to treat a FC of 3ppm as your minimum.

Nice job
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Glad you have found joy in pool maintenance after a rocky start!

Your pool readings look good... Like the others mentioned, I would keep the FC a little higher just to ensure you don't ever drop below your minimum for your CYA.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice work. Please send free beer to everyone who has congratulated you. I'm sure that may get a bit pricey so just send it to me.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the advice. Will start work immediately on getting FC levels up to 5.

8. Back To Top    #8

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP! Good to hear that we helped out your situation.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

9. Back To Top    #9

Hope u ain't getting tired of hearing how awesome this site is, but here goes any way. Huge rain storm in east Tn last night. 3 to 4 inches of rain. My wife freaked out and emptied some water, it was to the top of skimmer with more coming, so I agreed. Checked this morning with kit, levels were low on almost everything, ph was 7.8. Was just thinking back to before the change over and we would have had no clue what to do. By the time the pool store gave us the wrong advice, it would have been a mess. I feel like I know now exactly what to add and how much. Pool already almost back to full sparkle. This site and pool calculator have saved our summer.

10. Back To Top    #10
    South Carolina

Welcome to the forum

Glad that you have taken control of your pool.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!